Saturday, October 1, 2011

Courageous - Part I

Read Ephesian 6:4

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians%206:4&version=NIV


I went to see the premier of the movie Courageous last night.  Along with 62 other men (and their friends) from our church.  It is quite possibly only the 2nd premier that I’ve ever attended.  I like movies.  I’m just not one of those people who has to see it the first night.  In fact, most of the movies I watch are long after they’ve premiered.  Sometimes years!  They are DVD’s from my son, Brian.  He buys them.  Beth & I watch them.  It’s a lot cheaper that way.

Courageous is the story of several men and their journey in fatherhood.  Each man is at a different place in that journey.  A tragedy starts one of the men on a mission to discover what God wants from him as a father.  Surprised, overwhelmed, ashamed, he commits himself, with God’s help, to being the best father that he can be.  To assist with this, he draws up a Resolution.  During this process he invites several of his friends to join him.  Together they begin a journey into Biblical fatherhood.  The way that God designed it.  As such, Courageous is an invitation to fatherhood.  To be fully engaged.  Both feet in.  To do it God’s way.  With God’s help.

I love being a father.  And now a grandfather.  It is one of my favorite roles in life.  It was 3 days into our marriage when I turned to Beth and mentioned to her that we should start a family.  So much for spending a lot of time together as a couple!  After a miscarriage we became parents 18 months after we tied the knot.  I became a father.  I have been one ever since.

I’m not sure what I like the most about being a father.  Knowing that your child is a part of you - your genes, your characteristics, your personality.  Having a chance to mold, shape and influence a life.  Being responsible for someone else’s health and welfare.  Having someone trust you.  Look up to you.  Do things with you.  Love you.  (And there’s all the toys and cool stuff you get to play with along the way!)  All I know is that Father’s Day is a HUGE holiday in my life.  I absolutely love it when each of my children give me a card, thanking me for what I have done in their lives.  I am glad that they are proud of me.  That they love and respect me.

Although my children are all grown and out of the house (where did the time go?) the journey is not over.  I am still their father and will continue to be as long as God gives me breath.  I want to continue to influence them.  Assist them.  Be a source of wisdom for them.  And Strength.  Encouragement.  Be a role model.  And even though I am not the primary male-figure in my grandchildren’s lives (their fathers are) I want to be every bit engaged and influential in their lives as well.  And I can.  If I commit to it.  With God’s help.

Lord, I thank you for the privilege that You’ve given me to be a father.  To have children who have a part of me in them.  To have children who are going to carry on my life, my legacy, to future generations.  Help me to rely on You so that I can a role model for them - a source of wisdom, strength, encouragement and inspiration.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment