Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Jail Time

Read Philippians 16:16-34

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2016:16-34&version=NIV

For the past 3 months I have been going to the Flathead County Jail.  Visitation is on Monday nights.  To visit men anyway.  To visit women it is Tuesdays.  I can’t say that I love jail ministry.  I have always contended that I would rather be involved in prevention than cleanup.  That I would rather be involved in helping keep people from jail - than to assist them in dealing with life in jail.

That being said, I will go to the jail whenever there is a need.  Several months ago a woman from our church asked me if I would go visit her grandson.  These kinds of situations are always delicate.  You don’t know if it’s the person who asked you to go who wants this or the person who is in jail.  The fact is that just because you go to visit a prisoner doesn’t mean that they will see you.  They can refuse.  Some do.

So I went to visit a young man I had never met.  He almost didn’t come to see me.  Then he told me why.  He didn’t want to be one of those guys who ‘used’ a pastoral visit as an excuse to get out of his cell for a half hour.  I respected that.

The guy is young (30-ish).  His wife was killed in a freak accident not too long ago.  He has 2 elementary-school aged sons who are currently living with his mother.  That’s tough.  I think of myself being in that situation.  It’s the kind of thing that nightmares are made of.  What do you say to a person in a situation like this?  I did a lot of praying.

Basically, I’ve been telling him that his life is not over yet.  It’s simply on hold.  Besides, he is still a dad to his 2 boys.  And he will always be.  They need him.  They come visit him every weekend.  Even though he’s made some mistakes he can still be an example to his sons.  He can do the right thing.  With God’s help he can begin to make some changes.  His sons can still be proud of their dad.

I also told him not to waste his pain.  Or his time.  Learn from his mistakes.  He certainly has plenty of time to think about where he went wrong.  And what he can do differently.  More importantly, he has plenty of time to start making those ‘ruts of righteousness’ that I like to talk about.  He has a Bible.  I’ve encouraged him to read it.  Read Mark.  Then Acts.  Psalms and Proverbs are also good.  Of course, prayer is another must.  Being real and honest before God.  Monday he mentioned that he was having a hard time with his thoughts.  Don’t we all?  I encouraged him to memorize Philippians 4:6-7.  He said he would.  I like this guy.  I’m thinking that he’s going to be a winner.  The kind of guy who learns from his mistakes.  I’m really praying that this is the case.

The fact is that while many of us will never spend a single day in jail we do have seasons where God gives us a ‘timeout’.  We are laid off.  Or we get an illness.  A time when we are removed from the daily routine of life.  At first, we are put out by this.  We get mad.  Angry.  Upset.  Depressed.  But we must not lose sight of the fact that God is still in control.  Our ‘timeout’ may be just what we need.  A little time to think about where it is we are going in life.  A little time to make some necessary adjustments and changes.  A little time to begin forming new habits and disciplines.  Once we begin to make progress in this area, God usually gets us back in the flow of things.  The busyness of life returns.  Hopefully the lessons aren’t forgotten.

Lord, help me that I will never waste any of the experiences in my life.  That even in those times when I am removed from the daily flow of life, that I will still be productive.  That I will read my Bible more.  And pray more.  And make You a priority in my life.  Then, when this season of waiting is over, I will be closer to You.  And better equipped to serve You.  And others.  In Jesus’ name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment