Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Restaurant Evangelism

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%205:13-14&version=NIV
 
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2010:15&version=NIV 

Somewhere back in the mid-90's I was in Missoula for some District business.  For lunch, a number of us pastors went to HuHot.  There, one of the pastors, Dr Rick Mann, did something I had never seen before.  As the waitress was taking our orders, he told her that we were getting ready to pray for our meal.  Did she have anything that she wanted us to pray about?  Incredibly, she mentioned something about problems with her boyfriend.  So after she went to place our order, we not only gave thanks for our food, we also prayed for the waitress’ request.

I have never forgotten that occasion.  What an opportunity to be a witness for Jesus!  In the years since I have tried to do the same.  Whenever I go to a restaurant the first thing I do is try to learn the name of my server.  If the opportunity presents itself, I then tell them that we are going to say grace shortly, and ask them if there is anything that we can pray for them about.  Most of the time they give me some sort of request - help on an exam, finances, wisdom for their future, etc.  This is a great example of taking something that we do all the time (eating out) and using it for Jesus.

The great thing about restaurant evangelism is that it takes practically no training.  Anyone can do it!  It might seem a little stiff and artificial the first time you try it but with a little practice (and prayer!) you can get to the point where it comes naturally.  And you know what?  Most people aren’t offended by being prayed for.  As long as you don’t make them stand right there while you pray!  You want to be careful to be discreet about this.  Embarrassing them is not going to help.  Also, if you are going to do this make sure that you treat your waiter/waitress with manners and respect.  And make sure that you tip them well!  Praying for them and then giving them a poor tip leaves a bad impression of Christians.  This is the opposite effect that we want to have.

Restaurant evangelism also has other positive side effects.  It is a great modeling tool for other Christians who might be eating out with you.  Hopefully they will also begin to use it.  And it is a tremendous example for children.  They get to see, first-hand, Mom & Dad, living out their faith in everyday life.  And if I am out eating with people who are not Christians, I ask them if they mind if I pray for the food.  I’ve never had anyone refuse.  Just another way that we can be salt and light no matter where we are.  Or what we’re doing!

Lord, help me to be creative in my witness for You.  To incorporate a word or deed for You in everything that I do.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment