Friday, October 21, 2011

Standing On The Promises

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers+23:19&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah%2040:8&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah%2055:10-11&version=NIV

Yesterday I posted about the value of so-called ‘praying the promises’.  Someone has estimated that there are over 3,573 promises of God in the Bible.  I think I will just take their word for it.  That’s a lot of promises for us to claim.  And to stand on.  That’s the way R. Kelso Carter referred to them in his popular hymn, Standing On The Promises.

v 2    Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
        When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
        By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
        Standing on the promises of God.


Ch    Standing, standing,
        Standing on the promises of Christ my Savior;
        Standing, standing,
        I'm standing on the promises of God.


If, as we saw yesterday, the promises of God have been preserved for us in Scripture for our benefit, then we should go ahead and claim them.  And pray them.  Bring them to God.  A great idea is to incorporate this practice into our devotions.  To this end, there are a number of great pocket-sized Bible Promise books available.  I think every Christian ought to have a copy of one for their use.  I have one and it is very handy.




In my opinion, one of the best benefits of God’s promises is in regard to temptation.  All of us has at least one area of our lives that we are weak in.  For some people it’s worry.  For others it’s lust.  Or fear.  Or the future.  What we need to do is to find one or two promises that speaks to our weakness.  For me, it’s fear.  So I claim the promise of God found in Isaiah 41:10.  I use it over and over again when I feel afraid.
        “Fear not, for I am with you.  Be not dismayed, I am your God.  I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you by My righteous right hand."

Go ahead.  Try it.  Find a promise that you really need at this point in your life.  Then memorize it.  Claim it.  Stand upon it.  Bring it daily before God.  And before long, the power of His promise will begin to make an amazing difference in your life!

Lord, once again I thank you for Your promises.  They are Your promises to me.  Help me to claim them.  And pray them.  And stand upon them.  Use them to help build my faith and trust in You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment