Sunday, October 9, 2011

T. G. I. S.

Read Hebrew 10:24-25, Psalm 122:1

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews%2010:24-25&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20122:1&version=NIV

TGIF.  Anyone who works all week knows what the initials mean.  Thank God It’s Friday.  The end of the week.  I’m not sure exactly where the phrase originated.  Most people feel that it came from the bar and grill by the same name (TGIF) which first opened in 1965 in Manhattan’s East Side.  It was a place where students and young professionals could meet.  The name was indicative of the atmosphere that TGIF tried to promote that ‘everyday’ could be a Friday.  A day of celebration.  From there the phrase 'TGIF' found it’s way into popular culture.  It even made it’s appearance in the traditional blonde joke where the blonde had TGIF printed on her shoes.  It was to remind her that Toes Go In First!

The fact is that those who work Monday through Friday look forward to Friday.  Friday is the last day of the workweek.  After 5 pm Friday the whole weekend is ahead.  A chance to relax.  Be with family.  Recreate.  As such Friday has become a night to go out to dinner or to party.  Or both.

I would like to propose another phrase.  TGIS.  It stands for Thank God It’s Sunday.  I believe that this phrase has its origins in the Gospels.  We know that Jesus was crucified on a Friday.  That Friday was a pretty bad day for the disciples.  In a span of less than 24 hours the disciples went from figuring that Jesus was going to publicly declare Himself to be king to having died as an outlaw on a Roman cross.  Yes, Friday was the worst day of the disciple’s lives.  But then Sunday came.  What is now known as Easter Sunday.  Jesus arose from the dead.  Later He appeared to His disciples.  When He did, their sadness and mourning was turned to gladness and joy.  Sometime later, Friday worship changed to Sunday worship, since Sunday was the day that Jesus arose from the dead.  In the Christian church, we have been worshiping on Sundays ever since.

Yesterday, Beth & I went to our daughter’s home for dinner.  Afterwards I played with my grandsons, Brett & Jaydon, in their bedroom.  Do you know what they played?  Church!  They got out a couple of instruments (and a microphone that I helped them set up) and they sang choruses.  At the age of 4 & 2 they like Sundays.  Going to church is a huge experience for them.  Sunday School for Brett.  And then the Worship Service for both of them.  They enjoy singing.  And the offering.  I’ve never seen 2 kids so excited about putting something in the offering plate! This morning I happened to be in the foyer just as Brett came in with his dad.  He ran right past me downstairs.  Why?  Because he was excited about going to Sunday School.  I think he’s on to something.

As a pastor I love Sundays.  It is the culmination of my entire week.  I teach a Sunday School class.  Play my guitar on the Worship Team.  And preach.  I also get to interact with my church family.  And then there’s my wife, children and grandchildren who are there.  The fact is that it doesn’t get any better than this.  All together, in God’s house, worshiping Him.  It truly is as close to Heaven on earth as it gets.

I wonder what would happen if all of God’s people starting thinking TGIS?  If all week long we looked forward to Sunday?  If it was the high point of our week?  If we couldn’t wait until Sunday morning came?  The opportunity to go, as a family, to church.  To Sing.  Worship.  Give.  Pray.  Fellowship.  Laugh.  Learn. 

Chances are that a revival would break out in our churches.  Chances are that our teens and young adults would stay plugged in.  Chances are that our friends would pick up on our enthusiasm.  And maybe want to get in on the action.  Chances are that a few more people would enter the Kingdom.  Chances are that we might have to hold multiple services.  Or build on to our churches.  Chances are that our society just might find that the Church is relevant.  That God actually has something for them.  Something that they need.

So let’s get excited about Sundays!!  Let’s appreciate it for what it is.  An opportunity to be transformed by God.  To experience His power in our lives.  To become all that we were created to be!

Lord, I thank you for Sundays.  They are the highlight of my week.  Help me not to take them for granted.  To use them for own selfish purposes instead of Yours.  May I be truly excited about getting together with other believers in Your name.  May Your transforming power be evident in my life.  And in the lives of those I worship with.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment