Monday, October 17, 2011

Out Of The Mouth Of Babes

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matt%2021:16&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs%2022:6&version=NIV

As much as I would like to deny it I am a workaholic.  I know that I couldn’t convince anyone who knows me otherwise.  So, I decided to take a rare ‘day off’ today.  I’ve been working way too much lately.  Almost non-stop.  That’s the danger of having a job that you can also do at home. 

Anyway, at noon I helped Beth get the grandkids ready for lunch.  With 4 of them to care for she can use the help.  As I was helping with their drinks I drew attention to the t-shirt I was wearing.  It has a large cross on it.  I said, “What is Pap Pap wearing on his shirt?”  “A cross!” they all yelled.  “Who died on the cross?”, I asked.  Brett responded, “Jesus died on the cross so that we wouldn’t have to die on the cross.  He took our punishment.”  Wow!  Out of the mouth of babes.  I was taken aback at just how much Brett knew.  Being a couple weeks short of his 5th birthday he displayed a better understanding of Jesus than most adults do.  The question is, why?

Obviously the answer begins at home.  Charles & Becky are doing their part to raise their children in the ways of God.  They have some Veggie Tale videos that their kids watch.  And Bible story books that they read to them.  Then they say grace at meals and prayers at bedtime.  Charles also teaches the kids some worship songs.  They are engaging their children in spiritual matters.

The other part of the answer is our church.  As Brett & Jaydon attend Sunday School and the Worship Service week after week what they are learning at home is reinforced.  Of course, Brett also attends Faith Kids during the sermon and Transformation Kids on Wednesday nights.  Over a period of almost 5 years this amounts to a lot of godly influence in Brett’s life.

This is the 1-2 punch of raising up the next generation for Christ.  It starts in the home with  parents providing Christian resources for their children.  It begins as parents take their spiritual responsibilities seriously by praying with and for their children, reading the Bible to them, and talking about God in the home.  It continues as parents take their children to church on a regular basis.  When they go with their children to Sunday School.  And the Worship Service.  When children see their parents actively worshiping and serving the Lord.

As parents and grandparents, sometimes we don’t always see what God is doing in our children’s and grandchildren’s lives.  We keep teaching.  And praying.  And trying to influence.  But we don’t see much.  Then, out of nowhere, our children make a statement like Brett’s.  Or they react in a Christ-like manner.  Then we see it.  We get a glimpse of what God is doing in their lives.  And it gives us goose bumps.  It strengthens our resolve to stay the course.  To keep praying.  To keep investing.  To continue to be involved in one of the greatest ministries this side of Heaven - raising up the next generation for Christ!

Lord, I thank you for my children.  And grandchildren.  And for other people’s children and grandchildren.  For the incredible privilege that I have been given to be involved in their spiritual growth.  Help me to do my best to teach, pray, encourage, guide and model.  Help me to stay the course.  To not grow weary.  Or neglect my sacred obligation.  Continue to give me periodic glimpses of what You are doing in their lives.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment