Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A God Of Encouragement

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+15:5&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Thessalonians+2:16&version=NIV

Last night before I went to sleep I took a few minutes to think about my day.  I guess you would call it reflection.  As I did so I thought about a person who said they enjoyed reading my blog.  Later in the morning I was talking to someone about our men’s breakfast this past Saturday.  In particular, the sharing time.  They told me how one man, who never opens up in public, shared with some other men about his struggles in fathering.  Then I received some positive feedback on the sermon Sunday.  Of course, during lunch there was the touching statement from my grandson that I mentioned in yesterday’s post.  Then right before I went to bed (and started on this journey of reflection) I had been doing some reading.  I felt God speaking to my heart.  Whispering assurance about an issue I had been praying about for some time.

As I thought about all these separate events of my day, all of a sudden I began to connect the dots.  I couldn’t believe it.  In 5 or 6 different ways God had given me encouragement throughout the day.  He had affirmed that the things I was doing were making a difference in the lives of others.  Unfortunately I would have missed it if I hadn’t taken those few moments to pause and reflect.  I am so glad that I did.  What an awesome, amazing God I serve!

As Christians we understand that God has many attributes.  He is a God of love.  And power.  He is a God who provides.  And guides.  But we don’t often think of Him as a God of encouragement.  But He is.  In Psalm 103:14 we read, “For He knows how we are formed, He remembers that we are dust.”  The fact is that God understands our fragile nature.  He knows our struggles.  He knows that we are weak.  He knows that we get discouraged.  So what does He do?  He encourages us!  In a hundred different ways.  A compliment.  A thank you card.  A verse from His Word.  A smile.  Some good news.  In each of these ways and more, God whispers to our heart.  “Don’t be discouraged.  I’m right here.  You’re on the right track.  You’ll be OK.”

I like that.  In fact, I need that.  During those times when I get the ‘blues’, when I wonder ‘what’s the use’, when I am not sure that anything I am doing is making a difference, God encourages me.  That is, well, it’s encouraging!  The God who created and sustains the whole universe, knows and cares about me.  And you!

Lord, You know that I am human.  Nothing but dust.  I often get discouraged.  With life.  With others.  With myself.  Yet You are faithful.  You take the time to encourage me.  To reassure me.  To lift my spirit.  Thank you for this.  I so appreciate it.  And need it.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment