Friday, September 30, 2011

A Heartfelt Prayer

While I was attending Crown College I had the privilege of listening to Rev Hank Elgersma preach every Sunday.  I also did my summer ministry internship under him.  Unfortunately Pastor Hank developed MS shortly before I graduated.  His health deteriorated rapidly.  A number of years later he went to be with Jesus.  I kept in touch with Hank annually through his wife, Elaine.  Shortly after Hank's passing she enclosed the following prayer in a letter.  I don't know if it is original with her or not.  I believe it was.  Anyway, once I read it I was immediately touched by it.  And I have kept it ever since.  I am posting here in the hope that it will touch and inspire you as well.

Lord, I'm yours.  Whatever the cost may be, may Your will be done in my life.  I realize that I'm not here on earth to do my own thing, or to seek my own fulfillment, or my own glory.  I'm not here to indulge my desires, to increase my possessions, to impress people, to be popular, to prove I'm somebody important, or to promote myself.  I'm not even here to be relevant or successful by human standards.  I'm here to please You.  I offer myself to You, for You are worthy.

All that I am, all that I have, I give to You.  I give You any rebellion in me that resists doing Your will.  I give You my pride and my self-dependence, which tell me I can do Your will in my own power if I try hard enough.  I give You my fears that tell me I'll never be able to do Your will in some areas of my life.  I consent to let You energize me....to create within me, moment by moment, both the desire and the power to do Your will.

I give You my body and each of its members....my entire being; my mind, my emotional life, my will.  I give you my loved ones...my marriage...my gifts & abilities...my strengths & weaknesses ...my health...my status (whether it be high or low)...my possessions...my past, my present & my future.  I'm here to love You, to obey You, to glorify You.  O, my Lord, may I be a joy to You.  Amen."
Isn't this a wonderful prayer?  I love its simplicity.  It's earnestness.  It's seeking after God and God alone.  Out of all the prayers that I have prayed in my life if God answered this one I would be overjoyed.

Lord, I thank you that during the toughest times of life You are with me.  Despite the tears and the heartache you give me comfort.  Strength.  Courage.  Peace.  Have Your way in my life.  Today.  And everyday.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I loved pastor Hank. I grew up in his church in Orange City, IA. I still can remember things he said from when I was in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete