Friday, September 2, 2011

Being A Servant - When You Don't Want To Be One - Part I

A couple years after I entered the pastorate I came across a quote that really spoke to me.  I have remembered it ever since.  The quote goes like this:

    “You can tell how good you are at being a servant when someone treats you like a servant.”

Now, perhaps being a servant comes naturally to you.  You are the kind of person who always looks to help others.  Who enjoys nothing more than serving people.  Beth is this way.  She is  the ultimate servant.  She has no hobbies.  She lives to serve her family.  Me.  Her children.  And now her grandchildren.  People in the church.  And she does it very, very well.

Me, not so much.  I don’t come by servanthood naturally.  Being the oldest child I didn’t have to serve my younger siblings.  Yeah, like every other oldest child, I had to do my share of helping as they were growing up.  But being the oldest is not like being the youngest.  On top of that I am, by nature, pretty dog-gone independent.  While I enjoy helping people I can’t say that I really like serving them.  I hope you understand what I am saying.

When I became a Christian this whole concept of ‘servanthood’ was formally introduced to me.  Gradually, as the Holy Spirit worked in my life and I grew in my understanding of God’s Word, I became a little better at servanthood.  Getting married also helped.  As did having children.  Nothing has helped me more than becoming a pastor.  By its very nature, being a pastor is synonymous with being a servant.  This is what Jesus taught.  Being a pastor is the kind of occupation where your time and schedule are not always your own.  People have problems at times that may not be inconvenient for you.  People have their own ideas on how to do ministry.  People don’t always follow through on their commitments.  Sometimes this means that the pastor has to pinch-hit and do things he doesn't want to do.  Servanthood.

But here’s where the quote I mentioned (you thought I forgot about it, didn’t you?) comes into play.  I don’t mind being a servant.  In fact, I love it when I want to serve.  The problem is that I don’t like being treated like a servant when I’m not in the ‘servant mode’.  Unfortunately, I am not alone in this, am I?  I don’t know of anyone who likes being treated like a servant!  By this I mean that it is automatically expected that they are going to do certain things - usually without being asked.  Or thanked.  This is what really gets most people.  If they are expected to serve, and no one helps them, or recognizes them, look out!  They are either going to sulk.  Or get angry.  Or refuse to serve.  Anyway you look at it, it is ugly.

We see this all the time don’t we?  A large proportion of marital issues comes down to servanthood.  One or both spouses feel that they are doing a lot more serving than their partner is.  Or that their service is expected.  Or is going unnoticed.  Or unrewarded.  Of course, every parent goes through a stage where their children expects them to be their personal servant.  Some never grow out of this expectation.  Then at work our boss, or worse yet, a fellow co-worker might treat us like a servant.  Or customers.  Or other Christians!  (Does it get any worse than this!)  The truth is that all of us experience times when others expect us to serve them.  I don't know about you but I don't handle these times very well.  I seethe.  Or grumble.  Or serve in such a way that let's others know that I am not happy.  Or, in some cases, I might refuse to serve at all.  Yes, being treated like a servant when you don't want to be a servant is a whole different ballgame.  It is humbling for me to realize this.  And to let others know that I struggle with it. Tomorrow we will look at what the Bible says about being a servanthood.  And how we should approach it.  How we can improve our serve.  (That's a pun, get it?)  OK, OK.  Enough with the humor.

Lord, thank you for the many people who have served me in my life.  Parents.  Siblings.  Spouse.  Children.  Friends.  Fellow-believers.  You.  Help me to be willing to return the favor.  To become a servant.  Like You.  To others.  With joy and happiness.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment