Saturday, September 3, 2011

Being A Servant - When You Don't Want To Be One - Part II

Yesterday I mentioned a quote that I came across years ago.  A quote that I have remembered.  A quote that challenges me every time I read it.  The quote was:

    “You can tell how good you are at being a servant when someone treats you like a servant.”

I mentioned how I have no problem being a servant when I want to be a servant.  My problem comes when I don't want to be a servant.  When others expect me to be a servant.  When others treat me like a servant.  These things really ruin servanthood for me.  So, what does the Bible have to say about being a servant?  And being treated like one?

First of all, let’s look at the life of Jesus.  A foreshadowing of His ministry is seen in Isaiah 52 & 53.  The very first verse of this passage (Isaiah 52:13) says, “Behold, My Servant....”.  Later, in Isaiah 53:11b we read, “My Servant will justify the many, as He will bear their iniquities.”  So 700 years before Jesus was born it was foretold that He would be a servant.  Instead of a king.  Absolutely incredible.

When Jesus began His 3-year public ministry this is exactly what He did.  He served people.  He healed them.  And cast out their demons.  He taught them.  And fed them.  And loved them.  In John 13 we find Him washing the feet of His disciples.  The job of a servant.  A job none of the disciples was willing to do.  Once again, incredible.

Then the Apostle Paul, writing some 30 years after Jesus’ ministry, wrote the following description of Him in Philippians 2:7-8.  “Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.”  How incredible is this!  The glorious, majestic, all-powerful Son of God, Creator and Ruler of the Universe, became a servant.  He set aside His glory and power to serve people.  People whom He had created.  Is there any greater picture of servanthood in human history?  Absolutely not.

This is why Jesus could call His disciples to servanthood.  The disciples were a lot like me.  They didn’t mind helping out.  They didn’t mind ministering to people.  They did mind serving each other.  Being expected to be a servant.  Being treated like one.  Jesus knew this.  And He addressed the issue.  In Mark 10 we have the account of the mother of James & John bringing her 2 sons to Jesus.  She boldly asked that when Jesus came into His kingdom that they be able to sit on each side of His throne.  Of course, when the other disciples found out about this request they were upset.  How dare they do such a thing to them?  Then Jesus called them all together and said the following in vs 42-45:  “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them.  Not so with you.  Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all.  For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”  Since Jesus lived a life of servanthood He had the right to ask His disciples to do the same.  And guess what?  After His death and resurrection they got it.  Each one of them became a servant.  Willingly.  For the Lord.  And everyone of them (except John) died a martyr’s death.  They were servants right to the end of their lives.

So, when I look at Jesus, when I see how the glorious Son of God was willing to serve others - dirty, stinking, rotten sinners - how can I grumble about being a servant?  How can I not serve my wife?  My children and grandchildren?  My church?  My community?  My world?  How can I do anything less?  Tomorrow I want to continue this theme of servanthood by looking at some practical principles of servanthood.

Lord, my finite, human mind cannot even begin to fathom how Jesus could possibly become a servant.  To serve the unlovely.  The proud.  The rebellious.  Sinners like me.  What an amazing act of selflessness this was on His part!  Help me to follow His example.  Empty me of all pride, selfishness and self-importance.  Help me to also be a servant.  To serve as He served.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment