Saturday, September 10, 2011

Reluctant Or Eager?

This morning, before I went to Dickey Lake Bible Camp for the Men’s Retreat I was praying as I was getting ready.  I do this often.  Praying while I’m getting ready.  Praying in the car.  This morning, however, I suddenly had one of those profound glimpses.

If I had to categorize my prayer life I would say that it is spiritual-begging.  God has the power to do something I want or need.  Give me strength or wisdom.  Help me to know Him better.  Help someone else experience healing.  Provide them with a job, etc.  So I ask.  I seek.  I knock.  Unfortunately, when I finish praying, I don’t feel satisfied.  By this I mean that I continue to carry the burden around with me.  I am still concerned.  I am still anxious.  I don’t experience any peace.

My profound ‘glimpse’ was that my view of God is not correct.  You see, when I pray to God I think of Him as being reluctant.  The result is that I beg and plead with Him, hoping to change His mind.  To convince Him that I need what I am asking for.  When I am done, I never know whether I have convinced Him or not.  I don't know if He's heard my prayer.  Or is going to answer it.  It’s a terrible place to be.

What my view of God ought to be is that He is eager.  He is eager to grant my request.  (As I pray according to His will).  So, if I am praying to become more holy I not only have the assurance that He hears me but that He will answer my prayer.  Why?  Because God wants me to become holy.  And He will eagerly grant my request.

What a difference this makes!  When I view God as eager I am not pleading with Him so much as sharing with Him.  I don’t have to worry about ‘storming the gates of Heaven’ because the doors are already open.  I don’t have to be anxious and continue to carry the burden.  I can have peace, knowing that He is working on my request.  He wants to help me.  And He will!
 
I John 5:14 - "This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us."

Lord, I thank you for this great reminder that when it comes to me, You are eager and not reluctant.  You want me to become like You.  You want to answer my prayers for wisdom.  Strength.  Peace.  Patience.  Love.  May I remember this great truth and may it totally transform my prayer life.  In Jesus’ name, Amen
.

No comments:

Post a Comment