Sunday, September 11, 2011

Regarding Bad Habits

As soon as someone puts their faith in Jesus as their Savior the process of transformation begins.   One of the first things that happens is that bad habits immediately begin to go away.  With seemingly little effort on their part these habits miraculously disappear.  This might be anything.  In some cases it is smoking.  Or drug use.  Or anger.  This is really great to see and it provides a tremendous spiritual boost to the new believer who sees God at work in their life.  It also is a great witness to unbelieving friends and family of this person’s obvious change.

Unfortunately not all bad habits disappear instantly or miraculously.  Some of them linger.  For quite some time.  In some cases, years and years.  Again, these bad habits could be anything.  Swearing.  Lust.  Anger.  Smoking.  This is almost always puzzling to the new believer.  Why doesn’t God take away all of their bad habits?  He took some away.  Why not others?  I had this conversation with someone in my church 6 months or so ago.  Fortunately, I had already asked the question in regard to my own life so I had some insight into the issue.  Before I became a Christian I had a terrible anger problem.  Shortly after I put my faith in Jesus, He took it away.  I didn’t memorize any verses about it.  I didn’t take any anger management classes.  God simply removed it from my life, hallelujah!  But other habits He didn’t.  Like lust.  And worry.  And pride.

To answer the question as to why God doesn’t take away all of our bad habits we have to start with the fact that He could.  He has that power.  When a person becomes a Christian the power of sin in their life is broken.  They no longer are slaves to sin.  They are free.  So, if God has the power to miraculously free us from every bad habit, but doesn’t, the question then is why?  The answer is - for our own good.  Our own spiritual growth and transformation.  Let me explain.

As I said, I think that God immediately takes away some bad habits at conversion in order to encourage us.  As to the reality of our conversion.  And to demonstrate His power.  But He leaves some bad habits because He wants to avoid what I call ‘spiritual welfare’.  In other words, God isn’t going to do everything for us.  He leaves a few bad habits behind so that we will “work out our own salvation with fear and trembling”, Philippians 2:12.

You see, God wants us to have a stake in our own growth.  He wants to see us want to be free.  To change.  To be transformed.  He also wants us to learn such things as patience.  And perseverance.  And dependence upon Him.  So He purposely leaves some bad habits behind so that we will form good habits - habits related to spiritual discipline.

So, if you wonder why some bad habits in your life didn’t just miraculously disappear after your conversion, know that it’s not because of any limitation of God’s power.  And it’s not because He doesn’t love you.  It’s precisely because He does love you that He didn’t take every bad habit away.  Like a parent who purposely allows their child to struggle at times so that they learn and grow, God wants you to wrestle with some of your bad habits so that you will learn and grow. 

So, get to work!  Pray.  Read and memorize Scripture.  Fast.  Allow the Holy Spirit to develop a deep longing in your heart for God and nothing & no one else.  In time, God will meet you.  Those irritating, resistant, disgusting bad habits will begin to weaken.  And disappear.  And by the time that they do you will have developed some strong, spiritual disciplines.  Disciplines that will lead to your maturity.  Disciplines that will make you strong.  Disciplines that will make you an overcomer!

Lord, it is true that Your ways are far above my ways.  Thank you for those bad habits that you miraculously removed shortly after my conversion.  And thank you for the ones that you have left behind.  Habits that you want me to struggle with.  Habits that drive me to depend on You.  Habits that develop spiritual discipline in my life.  May these habits do the work that You want them to do in me.  Use them for my spiritual growth and for Your glory.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment