Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Angry Missionary

I remember shortly after I entered ministry that we had a Missions Conference here at our church.  This involved one of our missionaries (now known as ‘International Workers’) come for part of a week.  In the midst of all the activities this particular missionary and I had some time to talk in my office one afternoon.  Being somewhat new to dialoging with missionaries I asked him what was the most difficult challenge that he faced on the mission field.  I expected something such as being away from family, isolation, the language, etc.  Instead he told me it was anger.  Surprised?  I was.  He went on to say that it was very frustrating to live in another culture. 

They do things differently than we do here in America.  There is so much red-tape from the government.  Visas.  Permits.  Inspections.  Then there is the whole transportation issue.  Driving is akin to taking one’s life in one's hands.  The same for walking.  Or taking the bus.  Or the train.  Or flying.  Even ministry was  frustrating.  Little fruit.  Little interest.  Little commitment.  Everything seemed to move so slowly.  The result was that this missionary was frustrated - and frustration generally leads to anger.  I prayed for him.  And I have remembered our conversation ever since.

Since then I have had the privilege of going on 3 short-term missions trips.  In doing so I have encountered some great missionaries.  People who love the Lord.  Who love people.  Who enjoy what they are doing and how God is blessing them.  But I have also met the ‘angry missionary’.  After the pleasantries have been exchanged and you get to know them, a distinct streak of negativity surfaces.  They hate traffic.  And other drivers.  They hate the government and all the bureaucracy they have to go through.  They are frustrated with the slowness of progress in the local church.  And the lack of commitment.  All they seem to do is complain, complain, complain.  Sometimes I feel like asking them why they became a missionary in the first place?  They certainly don’t seem to being enjoying it.

These experiences have caused me to do some thinking.  And evaluating.  Whether it’s being a missionary, or a pastor, or someone is serving the Lord in their local church, we all face the same difficulties.  No one said that serving the Lord was going to be easy.  In fact, Jesus said just the opposite.  In Luke 9:23 He said, “Whoever wants to be My disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow Me.”  Doesn’t sound like a picnic to me.  This has caused me to take a little inventory of my life.  And no doubt it would be beneficial if you did the same.  We can start by asking the following questions:

1 - Do I complain about serving the Lord?  Isn’t it supposed to be a privilege?  Hasn’t He given me certain gifts and talents to use to help others?  Isn’t helping others a good thing?  Shouldn’t that bring a sense of joy and satisfaction?

2 - Do I really love others?  The reality is that I am not going to influence very many people in my culture (or any other culture for that matter) if I don’t love others.  If all I see are their faults.  Negativity repels.  Love attracts.

3 - Do I really believe that You are leading me?  If not, then all the delays, denials, and defeats in my life are going to make me angry.  If so, then I am going to be confident that somehow they are all a part of Your plan for my life.  A plan I embrace with eagerness.

So, ponder this.  Better yet, ask someone who knows you very well how they perceive you.  Is serving God a joy?  Or a duty?  Do you love others?  Or tolerate them?  Do you get frustrated with circumstances?  Or are you content no matter what the situation?  The answers to these questions will help us to know whether we are an ‘angry missionary’ or a joyful one.

Lord, help me not to be an ‘angry missionary’.  Someone who constantly complains.  About people.  The government.  Inconveniences.  The difficulty of serving You.  Instead, help me to be a joyful, content, faithful servant.  One who loves You.  And others.  And serving You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment