Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday's Sermon - July 3, 2011

Here is the link to my opening illustration this morning, Edgar Allan Poe's, The Masque Of The Red Death.  Since it is a short story it only takes about 10 minutes to read.  Once again I am struck by the similarity between it and Belshazzaar's feast which is mentioned in Daniel 5.  See if you see some of those similarities yourself.  This illustration is another example of the way that God leads me each week as I prepare my messages.


Once again, to touch on the concept of reverence for God, it is good for us to consider where we are at with this.  On one hand we want to avoid having a superstitious reverence or an unhealthy fear of God.  On the other hand we want to avoid becoming so familiar with God and the things of God that we treat Him and them as common and ordinary.  The key is balance.  Not being unduly afraid of God but also not becoming so at ease with Him that we fail to give Him the honor and respect that He deserves.

Questions:

1 - Do I have reverence for the Bible?  How do I handle my Bible and store it; do I read it and try to obey it; is it a precious treasure that I couldn't do without; do I view it as the very words of God or just the 'good' book?

2 - Do I reverence God in my prayers?  Am I willing at times to kneel in prayer or prostrate myself before Him in a display of humility; do I take the time to worship and thank Him when I come into His presence; has my prayer life degenerated into asking God for stuff all the time?

3 - Do I reverence God's house?  Do I view the church (and the sanctuary in particular) as just another room or do I treat it as the dwelling place of God's presence; am I more concerned with meeting and talking with my friends when I am there or with God?

This is by no means an exhaustive list in regards to having reverence for God but reflecting on these questions does give us a reference for how much/little we have for Him.

Lord, You are worthy to be praised, worshiped and served.  May I find that happy balance between fearing You and becoming too familiar with You.  May I never lose the sense of reverence, awe, wonder and respect that should be present in my life as one of Your creatures.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment