Saturday, July 16, 2011

Available To Serve

I had a great week being the Camp Pastor at Dickey Lake Bible Camp this past week.  It was great to be used by God to impact the lives of people.  The following are some examples:

First of all, I played my guitar for all 8 of the worship sessions.  Funny thing is that I almost didn’t bring it to camp!  I usually take things (like a couple books this year) that I never touch so I was going to leave my guitar at home but at the last minute I decided to take it.  Along with the Youth Group worship binder.  As soon as I arrived there, Sam, the director, asked me if I’d brought my guitar and would assist with worship.  Gotta love God’s timing and promptings!

I was able to work with a teenaged girl (Natalie) who loves music and who was our worship leader.  I encouraged her to take charge of things and I would follow whatever she wanted.  It would have been easy for me to overwhelm her being a man, much older than her and a pastor.  I thought that this would be good training for her to learn how to lead.  How to work with people who are older than her.  How to be assertive in what she wants to do.  I feel that it was a great learning experience for her and glad that I could have a part in it.  Besides, learning to follow is a great thing for a pastor to keep current on!

I also enjoyed my walk with Pastor Shaun Kendall, the camp speaker.  We both spoke into each other’s lives and just enjoyed each other’s company.  In addition, I led a morning devotional time for the counselors each day.  One morning I was speaking about patience and the fact that when we are impatient with others it usually a sign of selfishness.  At the closing campfire one of the counselors shared how she had never thought of impatience that way and how it challenged her to become more patient.

Finally, there were the conversations that I had during the week with the campers.  And the counselors.  Especially the counselors from our church.  They remarked how special it was to see their pastor at camp.

The point of this post is that if we are available, if we are willing to serve, then God will provide us with plenty of opportunities to impact the lives of others.  At home.  At school.  At work.  At camp.  On vacation.  In the community.  These opportunities may be big or small.  They may be to a group of people or to an individual.  They may be expected or unexpected.  When I went to camp I had no idea how God was going to use me or who He was going have me impact.  The fact is that God can use us in any situation to impact others....if we are ready, willing and available!

Lord, I thank you for the many opportunities that You give me to serve You by serving others.  Help me to always be available to serve.  To say an encouraging word.  To share an insight.  To use my talents & abilities.  To speak into the lives of others.  To listen.  To smile.  To show the love of Jesus.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment