Friday, July 8, 2011

Forgive And Forget?

I had a conversation with another pastor recently.  We were talking about forgiveness.  Specifically we were talking about forgetting as a part of forgiveness.  You know the old saying, ‘Forgive and forget’?  Well, in the course of the conversation it was mentioned that God also forgets when He forgives.  Really?

It is my understanding that God is perfect.  If He is, how can He ‘forget’ something?  Anything?  Does He somehow get a case of ‘holy amnesia’?  I don’t think so.  God never forgets anything.  So, how does God forgive then, when He still remembers?

In Psalm 103:12 we told that “As far as the East is from the West, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.”  What we understand about God and sin is that once He forgives it, it is final.  He will never, ever bring it up or remind us of it again.  Even though He still remembers it.  This is so unlike us humans who, the next time we get into an argument, bring up a person’s past once again.  We don’t forget.  We haven’t forgiven either.

Now, let’s look at humans and forgetting as it relates to forgiveness.  Is it possible that we actually forget when someone offends us?  In regard to smaller offenses?  Sure.  (Though some people seem to remember every offense, no matter how minor or trivial!).  Medium offenses?  A little more difficult.  Huge offenses?  Very difficult.  In some cases, impossible.

For example, suppose a husband or wife is betrayed by their spouse who is unfaithful.  Can they forgive their spouse?  Yes, they can.  With God’s help.  Can they forget the unfaithfulness?  No.  It will always be there.  But they can choose to never bring it up to their spouse again.  That is true forgiveness.  Then there are other similar offenses such as assault, rape, murder, someone hurting our children, etc.  I doubt very much that a person who has experienced these things can ever forget them.  But they can, by God’s grace, choose not to dwell on them.  To become angry or bitter over them.  To ever bring them up to the offender again.

So, what is better?  More noble?  More Christ-like?  To ‘forget’ that an offense ever occurred?  Or to remember it, yet still forgive?  I would say that it is the latter.  This is precisely what makes forgiveness divine.  It is how God forgives us.  It is how we should forgive others.

Lord, I thank you for the forgiveness that I have for past, present and future sins through the blood of Jesus.  I am especially humbled by the fact that while You remember my sins, when you forgive me, You will never bring them up to me again.  Ever.  Because You love me.  Help me to forgive others, even when I may still remember their offense.  It is the best gift that I can give them.  It is when I am most like You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment