Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pastor Mike - July 24, 2011

My good friend, Pastor Michael W. Smith, preached in my place this morning since I was on vacation.  (You didn’t realize that I had those kind of ‘connections’, did you?  OK, so it wasn’t THE Michael W. Smith.  But my Michael W. Smith had the name first, for whatever that means!)  Pastor Mike’s sermon title was very catchy and appealing: Why Is It So Hard To Follow Jesus?  Great question, isn’t it?  It does seem to be more difficult in real life than it ought to be, that’s for sure!  As Pastor Mike spoke I thought that he brought up some very good points.  Here are a few of the notes that I made during his sermon.

First of all, Pastor Mike mentioned the uber-bestseller of a few years ago, The Purpose Driven Life.  It is a very good book (hence its popularity) and basically calls us, as Christians, to live a life of godly purpose.  However, Pastor Mike’s observation (which I thought that was very good) was that before we can become purpose-driven we need to be Presence-driven.  In others words, behind our purpose we need to see, feel and experience God.  After all, it is all about Him isn’t it?  I was deeply challenged by that.  Of course, part of the problem is that, unlike the disciples, we can’t see Jesus.  Nor can we hear Him audibly.  But as I look at the disciples, they had their struggles in following Jesus, didn't they?  Even though they could both see and hear Him.  Maybe this criteria isn’t all that important?

Along with the need for us to be Presence-driven, Pastor Mike said that the greatest challenge of the Christian life is losing sight of Jesus.  Isn’t this so true?  I find it that way.  The reality is that there are so many Christians today (and plenty of pastors among them) who work for Jesus instead of with Jesus.  This is a very important distinction.  What is the difference?  Recognizing the presence of Jesus!  Realizing that He does walk with us.  And talk with us.  That He is with us 24/7.

Lastly, Pastor Mike mentioned several things that keep us from seeing and following Jesus: being prideful; beating ourselves up; being worried about the future.  These and other issues like them tend to take our eyes off of Jesus.  And just like Peter, when we do this in the storms of life, we almost always begin to sink!

So, thank you Pastor Mike for a good reminder.  Thank you for something to think about.  To reflect on.  To pursue.

Lord, thank you that You promised to never leave me.  Ever.  You are with me every waking hour and also when I am asleep.  Help me to live a Presence-driven life.  To begin each day with the awareness that Your Spirit lives within me and to keep that consciousness throughout the day.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment