Thursday, July 28, 2011

Descriptions Of The Appearance Of God

Like many of you I have wondered just exactly what God looks like.  Or Jesus?  Most of us would probably say that Jesus looks somewhat like Warner Sallman's famous, Head Of Christ.  I highly doubt it.  Unfortunately no one knows.  (I went in to some of my reasons why no one knows what Jesus looks like in my post of July 2, 2011 - What Did Jesus Look Like?)  Part of our problem (at least in reference to God, the Father) is that according to John 1:18 "No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is Himself God."  Bummer.  Part of the reason for this is that we are sinful and so we could not possibly see God in our current state.  Another reason is that a picture or painting wouldn't do Him justice.  But that doesn't mean that all is lost!  Fortunately, there are a number of places in Scripture which describe God to some degree - either God, the Father or Jesus.

The following is a sheet that I composed of all the descriptions of the appearance of God, the Father, and Jesus in Scripture.  It is not infallible.  It is a work-in-progress.  (If you find an additional description of God please let me know.)  The reason I devised this sheet was so that I could periodically read these descriptions of God.  When I do, I try to visualize Him.  In His glory.  His splendor.  His majesty.  It helps paint a picture of Him in my mind.  It helps me to worship Him better.  This is why I share it with you.  If you get the chance, read the passages.  See what they do for you.  Enjoy.


DESCRIPTIONS OF THE APPEARANCES OF GOD IN SCRIPTURE

  •    Exodus 19:16 - 20
                    20:18 - 21
                    24:9 - 11, 15 - 18
                    33:7 - 11
                    34:5 - 7, 29 - 35
                    40:34, 35

  •    Leviticus 9:23, 23

  •    Numbers 16:19

  •    I Kings 19:9 - 14

  •    2 Chronicles 5:11 - 14
                           7:1 - 3

  •    Isaiah 6:1 - 8

  •    Ezekiel 1:26 - 28
                  10:1 - 5
                  43:1 - 5
                  44:4

  •    Daniel 7:9, 10
                 10:5 - 9

•    Matthew 17:1 - 8
      Mark 9:2 - 8
      Luke 9:28 - 36

 •    I Timothy 6:16

 •    Revelation 1:10 - 18
                       4:1 - 11
                       5:1 - 14
                     11:19
                     15:7, 8
                     19:1 - 8
                     20:11
                     21:10 - 27
                    22:1 - 5

Lord, I thank you that although I can't see You, You have given me a glimpse of what You look like.  Thank you for the incredible picture it paints for me.  May that picture lead me to worship and serve You better.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment