Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Prayer - By Thomas Merton

Thomas Merton was a monk/priest who lived from 1915-1968.  He was a prolific writer, authoring over 70 books.  While I can’t vouch for all of Merton’s writings or views I love the following prayer of his.  I suppose that some people would be critical of it because of its vagueness.  It almost seems pluralistic in that it can be interpreted as sincerity is the main ingredient in our approach to God instead of the blood of Jesus.  However, what I like about the poem (assuming a Christian worldview) is its assertion that God is pleased with effort.  So many times I worry about getting all my ducks in a row.  Of dotting every ‘I’ and crossing every ‘T’.  When I do this I am focusing more on performance than relationship.  This prayer assures me that God isn't always a harsh marker but also kind and compassionate.  He appreciates our efforts.  He sees our heart.  This is what is important to Him.

    My Lord God,
    I have no idea where I am going.
    I do not see the road ahead of me.
    I cannot know for certain where it will end.
    Nor do I really understand myself,
    and the fact that I think I am following
    Your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
    But I believe that the desire to please You
    does in fact please You.
    And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
    I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
    And I know that if I do this You will lead me by the
    right road, though I may know nothing about it.
    Therefore will I trust You always though I may
    seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
    I will not fear, for You are ever with me, and
    You will never leave me to face my troubles alone.


Lord,  thank you for the fact that You are always there for me.  Even when I don't sense Your Presence.  Even when I don't know where I'm going.  Or what I'm doing.  Even when I don't get everything right.  Even when I feel like I am failing You.  Help me to realize that You are pleased with my effort - as imperfect as it often is.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment