Wednesday, July 20, 2011

For The Love Of The Game

Monday evening, when our son Brian came to pick up his daughter Ava from our house, we discussed our weekend sporting exploits.  He had gone down to Missoula over the weekend to play on a 3-on-3 tournament.  I had played in a softball tournament here in Kalispell.  While we both did well (his team took 1st while mine took 2nd) we both paid the price for our participation.  Brian told me that this tournament was probably the most physical one he’s ever played in.  That’s really saying something for a guy who’s played basketball year-round for 15 years.  He showed me bruises and scrapes on his arms, chest, shoulder, back and legs.  Meanwhile, the softball tournament that I played in was probably the most physical one that I can remember.  My injuries were a bruised back (hit with the ball), a bruised leg (sliding into 3rd base), damaged toenails (sliding into 2nd base) and very tired and sore legs.  My age is beginning to show!

Now, to an outside observer, it would appear that my son and I are crazy.  Instead of just relaxing and enjoying our weekends, we go out and abuse our bodies.  We suffer all week long with the after-effects of assorted injuries and sore muscles - then we go right out and abuse our bodies again!  Our wives simply can’t understand what it is that causes us to act like this!  The answer is simple.  It’s the love of the game.

When you love a sport, any sport (softball, basketball, soccer, football, etc.) the excitement and challenge of playing is what drives you.  You love being out on the field or court.  You enjoy competing.  You are eager to see how you measure up against others.  You want to see if you still ‘have it’.  You enjoy digging deep down and coming through in the clutch.  As a result of loving the game so much, you are willing to risk losing.  To experience the agony of defeat.  To suffer injuries.  To discover that your skills are not what they once were.  To end up on the wrong side of a call.  All in all, when you love the game, it doesn’t matter whether you win or lose.  You’re going to go right back out the next chance that you get and do it all over again. 

I see a parallel between loving the game and the Christian life.  As we all know, living the Christian life is not easy.  Not one bit.  There is temptation and failure.  There is uncertainty and doubt.  There is challenge and discipline.  There is being made fun of and persecution.  So, why do we live the Christian life?  Why don’t we take the easy way out and live for ourselves?  Why do we put up with trials, disappointments, and defeats?  The answer is simple.  The love of the Savior.

When you love Jesus you are willing to do anything for Him.  Witness for Him.  Sacrifice for Him.  Suffer for Him.  Die for Him.  You realize that you’re always going against the flow but it doesn’t matter.  All you want is to please Him.  To make Him smile.  To see Him get the glory.  To hear the words, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant.’  It is the love of the Savior that keeps us going.  This is what makes it all worth while.  This is what we want to experience for all eternity.

Lord, I thank you for the difference that You’ve made in my life.  I thank you that because You first loved me, I now love You.  Thank you for the ups and downs.  The blessings and the trials.  The triumphs and the defeats.  May I continue to serve You to the best of my abilities as You enable me.  May my life bring a smile to Your face and words of commendation to my ears.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment