Monday, April 16, 2012

One Year Blogging Anniversary

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=apples+of+gold&qs_version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians+3:1&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+3:17&version=NIV1984

Well, it’s hard to believe but today is one year since I began my blog!  Up to that time I’d never blogged before.  In fact, I really had never followed anyone else’s blog either.  You might say that I was a true blog novice.  To tell you the truth I’m not sure why I even started blogging?  I think that it was the result of Casey Bertram.  I know that he’s the one who set up my blog.  Because I was clueless about the blogosphere.

When I first started blogging I made some initial determinations.  First of all, I wanted my blog to be meaningful.  I wanted to avoid the short, light, positive comment-of-the-day kind of thing.  They have their place.  But I wanted my blog to make people to think.  Reflect.  Ponder.  As a result, the length of my blogs has grown from those initial few posts.  On the other hand, I wanted to avoid making my blogs too long.  I have viewed a few other blogs whose posts were so long that I didn’t read them all the way through.  I wanted to avoid that.  I figure that most people will spend about 5 minutes reading what you have to say.  Longer than that and people will simply skim what you write.  Or maybe quit visiting your blog altogether.  So hopefully I have settled into a comfortable range between too short and too long.  You may have noticed that if I do want to post at length about a subject, I simply divide the topic up into several parts.  Again, I do this for your convenience so as not to overwhelm you.

Secondly, I wanted my blog to be current.  So right from the start I decided to post every day.  I thought that was what all bloggers did.  And I felt that this was the only way to gain a following.  If you post every day then people will routinely read your blog.  Well, it turns out that very few people post every day.  Oh sure, there are some ‘professional’ bloggers out there.  You know, the kind who post to their blogs every day because it is a part of their job.  Most  bloggers, however, seem to post on a weekly or monthly basis.  I remember a month into blogging when Casey told me that I was a ‘prolific’ blogger.  Oops!  I guess I went a little overboard!  The amazing thing is that I actually could find something to post about every day!  I mean 365 posts is a lot.  Not only that, I just checked and I currently have enough material for another 160 posts!  Who knew that God could inspire me to such a degree!

After one year of blogging, it appears that God has used it.  Which was the whole purpose behind it in the first place.  During this time my blog has had over 5,300 page views and it has been read in 65 countries, besides the United States.  Not bad considering I didn’t exactly have a large fan base from which to launch my blog.  All I had was a handful of people from my church.  And several friends.  It has grown from there.  I have also received some feedback on my posts.  All of it favorable.  And I have had several people tell me that they read my blog every day.  Wow!  That is humbling.  And encouraging.  That others would take the time to read what I post.

Unfortunately, now that I am a year into it, I think that I am going to be posting less frequently.  All told, by the time I post, add some verses, and a picture or two, I spend 2 hours per day on my blog.  Now in our busy world 2 hours a week is a significant time commitment.  But 2 hours a day?  I really don’t know how I’ve been able to do it.  Over the past year I have posted every day, including during birthdays.  Holidays.  Vacations.  A week of Bible camp.  Men’s retreat.  District functions.  And many other events.  This has meant a lot of late nights.  And time taken away from my wife Beth.  From reading.  And other activities I like.  And used to do.

So I will continue to post.  But probably not every day.  If you are really set on reading my blog on a regular basis, simply begin reading them over again.  As I said, at this point I have a post for every day of the year.  And I will be adding periodic posts this year as well.

Thank you for reading my blog.  It means a lot.  Hopefully God is using it in your life.  That is the  goal.  To Him be the glory!

Lord, I thank you inspiring me.  And for the privilege of being able to share my thoughts with so many.  May You continue to use the insights and thoughts You’ve given me to bless and help others.  To You alone be the glory.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment