Friday, April 13, 2012

Being Organized

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%2014:40&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians+14:33&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+2:5&version=NIV1984

I don’t know why but I have always been a very organized person.  I remember once when I was a child that I drew pictures on a number of pieces of paper and joined them together with a paper fastener.  On these papers I listed all of the things I needed to do in a day.  Brush my teeth.  Make my bed.  I don’t remember what the rest were.  Each day I would take out my papers and make sure that I did everything on them.  Why I just didn’t make a list I don’t know.  I probably had too much time on my hands.

For me, being organized comes easy.  Not only do I have a natural inclination toward this, my parents raised me to be responsible.  This meant putting my toys away when I was done with them.  And putting my clothes where they belonged.  Making sure that my shoes and sneakers were where they needed to be.  Of course, being a perfectionist really helped.  I strongly agree with the adage, ‘A place for everything, and everything in its place’.

I really like being organized for several reasons.  I know where things are when I want them.  I don’t have to spend minutes or hours looking for them.  (I hate wasting time).  Also things are neat and clean.  No matter what people may say, clutter is wearisome.  It drains a person's energy.  And depresses them.  Life seems out of control.  Conversely, organization and having things where they belong is energizing.  It puts people in a better mood.  They feel as if they have things under control.

Now I understand that not everyone is organized.  Some people don’t want to be, plain and simple.  They either see no need for it.  Or they are not motivated enough to be organized.  They want to go through life freely.  Without have to put a lot of conscious effort into things.  There are other people, however, who would love to be organized but don’t know how. 

So, what is the key to being organized?  There are several principles but the most important, I believe, is this = Do it now.  Not impressed?  I think you will be when I explain.  Suppose a person comes home from school or work.  They take off their coat.  The unorganized person lays it down somewhere.  Anywhere.  On a chair.  A table.  Maybe even on the floor.  The problem is that they generally don’t lay it down in the same place twice.  Now when they need their coat, what happens?  Chances are that the coat isn’t the only thing that hasn’t been put away.  There’s yesterday’s newspaper.  Books.  Mail.  Other items of clothing.  Somewhere in all of this clutter is their coat.  But they don’t know exactly where.  So they have to look.  And hunt.  And move things around.  If they don’t find it right away, chances are they simply get another coat or sweatshirt and take that.  Then when they come home, this gets laid down somewhere.  Making an even bigger mess.  And then some people wonder why their house or bedroom is such a disaster.

More on this subject and its spiritual application tomorrow.

Lord, I thank you for parents who made me put things away when I was a child.  How valuable that has turned out to be.  And I thank you for the desire and ability to be organized.  It has helped me so much over the years.  Help me not be organized as an end in itself but so that I have the time to do the things that You want me to do.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment