Thursday, May 19, 2011

Martha, Martha! - Part II

Going back to the scene of Mary & Martha in Luke 10, in all fairness to Martha, preparing a meal in those days, especially for an honored guest like Jesus, took a great deal of time.  If meat were served an animal would have to be slaughtered, skinned, cleaned and cooked.  Bread had to be made, fresh fruits and vegetables picked and cleaned.  It might take literally several hours to prepare such a meal.  This is why Martha was so busy - there was a lot to do and it all took time.

Since we find that Jesus commended Mary, who did nothing to help prepare the meal, I wonder how this scene might have played itself out better?  Perhaps if Mary & Martha would have talked to Jesus to begin with then, when they started getting hungry, both sisters could have helped prepare the meal together? Or, maybe it wasn't the fact that Mary was busy so much as it was that she was upset about feeling obligated to serve?  Perhaps if she had found joy in serving Jesus the issue of her busyness might never have came up?  It is something to ponder.

Now even though I admit that I have a lot of Martha in me, I do have a Mary-side as well.  The truth is that if I had all kinds of time and nothing that needed to be done, I would love to sit at Jesus' feet!  Unfortunately, the grass doesn't get mowed on its own, the garden doesn't weed itself, the dishes don't miraculously get washed, sermons don't get mysteriously written, etc.  The key, then, is priorities.  Yes, the work still needs to get done but my first work should be spending time with Jesus - gazing upon Him, learning from Him, worshiping Him.

Someone has said that 'busyness is the enemy of godliness'.  That's interesting because most Christians assume that it's only the flesh, the world or Satan that is the enemy of godliness.  This is what makes busyness so dangerous.  It's the subtle temptation to substitute activity for substance.

So, I am trying to balance my life a little more these days.  It isn't easy.  All these years of being a Martha have left some pretty deep habits ingrained in my life.  Gradually, however, through prayer, through accountability,  through being sensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit, I am going to get there.  I am going to have a Mary-old time with Jesus!

Lord, thank you for Your constant reminders that You are patiently waiting for me to spend time with You, that it is what You want most from me and what I need most from You.  In Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment