Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Martha, Martha! - Part I

I find it ironic that the Mrs Stewart of our culture has the first name of Martha.  In Scripture, Martha was the sister of Lazarus and Mary, who were among Jesus's closest personal friends.  Most likely Martha was the oldest since she is mentioned first and it appears that she was the one who ran the household.  Like Martha Stewart of our day, Martha was a take-charge, get-it-done, hospitable person who had high standards.  So when Jesus paid a visit to their home in Luke 10, Martha immediately busied herself with all the details of preparing a meal for her honored guest.  Meanwhile, Mary sat at the feet of Jesus and listened to Him teach.

After a while, Martha became upset with her younger sister.  Certainly she knew how much work it took to prepare a meal for someone.  Why didn't she just get up off her butt and help?  Perhaps Martha made a little extra 'noise' in the kitchen or made several 'extra' trips into the living room, hoping that Mary would get the hint.  Finally, out of desperation, Martha appealed to Jesus for help.  In v 40 Martha said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  Tell her then to help me."  Certainly Jesus would see her plight and ask Mary to help her.

But if Martha was expecting Jesus to be on her side, she was wrong.  Instead, Jesus took Mary's side, saying that Mary had chosen the good part, which was to listen to Him while she had the chance.  Mary knew that she had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to privately learn from the Master and she was going to take full advantage of it.

I hate to admit it but I secretly like being a Martha.  I enjoy getting things done.  I also like the sense of accomplishment that comes with getting things done.  However, God would have me to understand that investing in my relationship with Him is an accomplishment, if I can call it that.  (Somehow using 'accomplishment' and 'relationship' in the same sentence doesn't seem right!)  The fact remains that God is more concerned about who I am than what I do, for what I do springs from who I am.

Perhaps you have struggled with this as well.  Busy, busy, busy - busy with work, busy with children, busy with hobbies, busy with life.  Meanwhile we let our relationship with God go.  We are like the son or daughter who calls their parents once every six months to sort of check up on them and make sure that everything's alright.  God wants more from us than this.  God deserves more from us than this.  We need more from Him than this.

O Lord, help me to put my relationship with You first, for I need to know You and love You before I can effectively serve You.  In Jesus' name, Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment