Saturday, May 21, 2011

The End Of The World

Apparently the deadline for the end of the world has passed - evidenced by the fact that I am writing this and you're reading it!  Are we surprised?  Hardly.  In Matthew 24:36 Jesus said, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in Heaven, nor the Son, but the Father."  Is that clear or not?  I think so.  Most Christians think so.  Apparently not all Christians think so.  

I don't know what the fascination is for predicting an exact date for the rapture or the end of the world is.  Have you ever thought about why people down through the ages persist in doing this?  I suppose that one reason is mental instability. This could be the result of advanced age (which might be the case in the current situation) or someone who is simply 'out there'.  I don't know why it is but more often than not mental instability over spills over into the spiritual sector.

Another reason could be pride - the fact that someone feels they have 'inside' information on this event that no one else has, that they are the only person in the entire world who has unlocked the secret to this date.  Hmmm, let me see, how does God feel about pride?  Not so good.  In fact, He hates it!

I am being charitable here but perhaps another reason for date-setting is motivation, motivation for Christians to get off their butts and get the news out that this world is not going to last forever and that judgment is coming.  Motivation for people who don't believe in Jesus and who don't have eternal life to take care of business NOW!

This whole scenario leads me to ask a couple of questions.  Do we really believe that the world is going to end in our lifetime?  I find near universal agreement among the Christians that I know that we are, in fact, living in the 'last days'.  That leads to another question, If so, then what are doing about it?  If, and that's a pretty big if, these date-setters are trying to get people into the Kingdom, then I at least laud their concern, though not necessarily their means.  The point is that all Christians should be seeking to reach out to the lost with the Good News found in Jesus because no one knows when He will return and know one knows if they will have the opportunity to do so tomorrow.  

So, let's not get complacent or have to be motivated by artificial means such as dates.  The fact is that Scripture tells us that the end of the world is coming, and it will be an awful time for those who are not prepared for it.  That, plus a God-given love and concern for the spiritual needs of others, ought to be enough motivation for us to share about the Good News found in Jesus.

Lord, I confess that Your coming is not always first and foremost on my mind.  I acknowledge that far too often I get wrapped up in the things of this world and forget about others around me who have no faith in Jesus.  Help me to make a conscious effort to reach out to them with the Gospel and to impress on them the urgency to make a decision now, while there is still time.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment