Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Heaven

This past year our Pastoral Growth Group read and discussed Randy Alcorn’s book, Heaven.  It’s  a subject that should be of interest to all of us since, as believers, we are all eventually going to go there.  For the longest time I must admit that I wasn’t all that concerned about Heaven.  When I accepted Jesus as my Savior as a teenager I understood that Heaven was in my future and that was good enough for me.  I remember saying on numerous occasions that I would worry about Heaven when I got there, that I wanted to be busy for the Lord now - to die with my boots on, so to speak.  I thought that this was a very God-honoring viewpoint.

Then one day I read Colossians 3:2 in the New Living Translation - “Let Heaven fill your thoughts.  Do not think only about things down here on earth.”  As I read this I realized that I was wrong in not thinking about Heaven more.  Then I wondered why Paul wrote this.  What good could come from constantly thinking about Heaven?  Allow me to list several benefits that I have discovered.

First or all, thinking about Heaven is a source of hope and encouragement.  This world is not the best of places.  All we have to do is to look around and we can readily see that this is true  - jealousy, envy, lust, prejudice, crime, substance abuse, fighting, war, etc.  There are times when we want to be free from all of this sin, both in the world and in ourselves.  Heaven is the place where that happens.  It is place of unending love, eternal peace and everlasting joy where God’s will is done, always.  There are days when our spirit longs to be there - to enjoy the companionship and security of God.  It is no accident that many of the old Negro spirituals spoke of Heaven.  For people whose families were often torn apart through separation and who endured ill-treatment, pain and suffering, Heaven was very appealing.  It was the only thing that they had to look forward to.  This is not in any way a bold prediction, but the time is coming when things will be so bad here on earth than many people will find themselves thinking of, and longing for, Heaven.

Secondly, thinking of Heaven can help us successfully deal with temptation.  It helps us to see temptation in its proper perspective and it causes the temptation to lose a little of its appeal.  Why do we want to enjoy some cheap, temporary pleasures now when we are going to have permanent, God-given ones in Heaven, ones that will not produce sorrow and/or regret?

Thirdly, thinking of Heaven can help us with decisions.  Someone has said that we should ‘live life with eternity’s values in view’.  Basically, this means that if we considered Heaven now, while we are making many of our decisions and lifestyle choices, we would make better choices.  In the busyness of my life, I sometimes reflect on which of my many activities is going to make an eternal difference?  This really simplifies my decision-making.

There is a well-known saying that “Some people are so Heavenly-minded that they are no earthly good.”  I suppose that might be the case with a few individuals.  However, I think the opposite is true.  Most people, including more than a few Christians, are so earthly-minded that they are no Heavenly-good!

Lord, thank you that, through Your Son, Jesus, Heaven is in my future, guaranteed!  Help me to think of Heaven more often; You being on the throne, Your glory everywhere, You in complete control.  Help these thoughts to encourage and influence me while I live my life here on earth.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment