Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pooling Around

My parents were both non-swimmers.  So I grew up being a non-swimmer.  In fact, I have a fear of water.  A huge fear.  A paralyzing fear.  Personally, I like water.  I just don’t like it in my ears.  My eyes.  My nose.  I especially don’t like it in my lungs.  Not at all.

Part of the reason why I think am afraid of water is where I grew up.  Growing up in Niagara Falls most of the water is dangerous.  There is the Upper Niagara River which flows at 30 mph and has dangerous undertows.  It is also a lot wider than the Flathead River here in Kalispell.  It flows close to the Falls where it becomes white water.  At this point anyone (swimmer or boat) in the water is going over the Falls.  No turning back.  If you survive the Falls (186' drop.  The American Falls is filled with rocks at the bottom.  Good luck with that!) there is the Lower Niagara River.  Same 30 mph current.  The waves can also be 20' high.  Periodically a wave will wash a sunbather off a rock into the current.  Deadly.  Then there is the infamous whirlpool.  Very dangerous.  Serious undertow.  So, I grew up with a great fear of water.

I remember that in 3rd grade I took swimming.  The first test was ring pick-up.  They threw a rubber ring into the bottom of the shallow end.  You have to go under the water to pick it up.  I never passed that test.  I tried.  But failed.  Then I started feigning sickness every week when swimming came up.  At the end of the school year we had a end-of-year-pool party.  My teacher, Mrs Humphries, put me on her shoulders and took me across the pool.  It was pure panic.  I think I stretched each of her ears a couple inches.  I might even have one of her earrings still.

Earlier this summer our grandkids got a small pool.  About 3' x 5' and 6" deep.  They really enjoyed it.  I mentioned on July 4th that maybe we ought to think about getting a deeper pool for the grandkids.  I was thinking 20" or so.  Well, a couple days later Charles purchased a 42" pool for the backyard.  15' wide.  3861 gallons of water.  Really?  I wonder who measured that?  Anyway, it’s up and full.  And we have lots of floaties.  And life jackets.  I was surprised that both Brett & Ava can touch the bottom of the pool.

On Sunday 4-year-old Brett, with his new diving googles (he looks like superfly with them on!) and a lot of encouragement from his dad, managed to put his head under water and pick up a weighted pool toy from the bottom of the pool.  Boy, was he happy!  Then he picked up another one.  And another one.  In one short week the kid became a diving machine.  Of course, you know what went through my mind.  I can’t let my grandson show me up!  I’m going to have to learn how to swim.   More on the adventure tomorrow.

Lord, I thank you for water and the enjoyment that it brings to so many people.  I thank you that my children and grandchildren are able to enjoy our pool.  And that I get to spend some time with them in it as well.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment