Sunday, August 28, 2011

Glimpses

What is a glimpse?  I would say that it is a quick glance.  A momentary thought.  We all have glimpses.  Glimpses of someone we see.  Glimpses of something on TV.  Glimpses of the past.  Glimpses of the future.  Thoughts that enter our consciousness for a split second.  The thing about glimpses is that they usually don’t last very long.  They are gone almost as fast as they arrived.

Lately I’ve been thinking about glimpses.  The kind of ‘aha’ moments where we put things together.  Where we see things clearly.  In proper perspective.  I have had several glimpses lately.  A couple weeks ago I was pretty frustrated one Saturday.  Things were not working out the way I had planned.  (As usual!)  I had to make an unplanned and unwanted trip to the hardware store.  As a result I was frustrated.  Frustration generally turns into anger.  Just at the point where I was about to get angry I had a glimpse.  The Holy Spirit brought James 1:2-4 to my mind.  “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”  This is one of Roy Van Deren’s favorite verses.  Consider it pure joy.  I don’t know that having to go to the hardware store is a trial but the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart to ease up.  Let it go.  So what?  I could still be happy.  Wow.  All of a sudden, for a fleeting moment, I saw my day from an eternal perspective.  Guess what?  I didn’t get angry.  I don’t know that I was jumping up and down over the derailment of my plans.  But suddenly I was OK with the change.

As I have already stated, I think that all of us experience these occasional glimpses in our lives.  Those times when God breaks through and speaks to our hearts.  Those times when we gain understanding about either a person or a situation.  I suppose some would call it an epiphany.  In my mind the difference between a glimpse and an epiphany is that a glimpse is fleeting.  An epiphany is a life-changing moment. 

So, the goal is to stop and take note of the glimpses that God brings our way each day.  Perhaps we are suddenly aware of His presence with us.  Or maybe a verse immediately comes to our mind.  At times like this it is very important that we pay attention to what God is revealing to us.  To note it.  Ponder it.  Reflect on it.  Write it down.  Most of all, to learn from it.  If we can, then that momentary glimpse has the chance to turn into an epiphany, a life-changing moment.

Lord, I thank you for the glimpses that You give me.  Usually when I least expect them.  Help me not to waste them.  But to reflect on them.  To learn from them.  Help me to turn them into permanent moments of truth which add to my maturity and my relationship with You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment