Saturday, August 20, 2011

Life Expectancy

We’ve all heard the term ‘life expectancy’.  In human terms, it applies to how long a person (under normal conditions) can expect to live.  As of 2009, the current life expectancy is 78.2 for the average American.  This is pretty significant considering that in England at the turn on the 20th century the life expectancy was in the mid-50's.  We’ve come a long way.

But I want to look at the term ‘life expectancy’ in a different way.  Allow me to use the following analogy.  Having played softball for many years, when it comes to defense, there are two different kinds of players.  The first player is poor in this aspect of the game or lacking in confidence.  So when they are out of the field they are worried.  Uptight.  Nervous.  Silently they say to themselves, ‘I hope they don’t hit it to me’.  Or ‘I hope I don’t make an error’.  This could be the 3rd baseman who’s afraid that he won’t be able to handle the hot smash down the line or the outfielder who fears he’ll miss the fly ball.  Chances are that when the ball is hit to them they do miss or misplay it.  Their negative, apprehensive attitude becomes almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Then we have the fielder who is good, who is confident in their defensive abilities.  When they take the field it’s a completely different story.  They are confident.  Relaxed.  Maybe even cocky.  Silently they say to themselves, ‘I hope you hit it to me’.  Or, ‘If I get the chance I’m going to get you out!’  This might be the Shortstop who’s anticipating making a double play or the outfielder who wants to make the diving grab.  Chances are that when the ball is hit to them, they make the catch.  They make the play.  Their positive, confident attitude allows them to do exactly what they were envisioning doing.  So we have two different players with two different results.  What made the difference.  Attitude.  Specifically ‘expectancy’.

Going back to the term ‘life expectancy’ some people have a pretty negative one.  Perhaps they come from a divorced family.  Or maybe their family was poor.  Or dysfunctional.  Maybe they don’t have great physical looks.  Or many talents & abilities.  Whatever it is, they don’t expect much out of life.  In fact, they go through life silently hoping that they don’t get ‘put on the spot’.  As such, they are fairly pessimistic.  They don’t expect good things to happen to them.  To accomplish very much.  To make a difference in the lives of others.  As a result, they are not disappointed.  Things go wrong.  Bad things happen to them.  They live their lives in dread of what negative thing is going to happen to them next.  Is this the way that God would want us to live?  Hardly.

God wants His children to live life expectantly.  Optimistically.  Confidently.  Not in our own resources but in His!  He wants us to attack life.  To be bold.  To enjoy it.  To live it with wonder and expectation.  What blessings is He going to give me today?  How is He going to use me?  In what ways is He going to work through me?  The reality is that one of God’s desires for us is to bless us - and make us a blessing for others.  In Jeremiah 29:11 (one of my favorite verses) God says, “‘I know the plans I have for you’, says the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Now for those of us who are optimistic by nature, this isn’t too much of a stretch for us to live life expectantly.  For those of us who are pessimistic by nature, this is a huge change to try to initiate.  But with God’s help, anyone can acquire a good ‘life expectancy’!

Lord, I thank you that, for the Christian, the future is always bright.  Help me to avoid living my life in fear and dread.  Instead, help me to live it in wonder and anticipation.  What blessings am I going to receive today?  How are you going to use me to bring You glory?  To positively impact the lives of others?  To make a difference in my world?  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment