Friday, August 26, 2011

Balance - Part I

When I was a child my life was characterized by a lack of balance.  I was impulsive.  I had anger issues.  I was immature.  Then I became a Christian and through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, I gained some much-needed self-control.  Ever since then my favorite word has been balance.  It has been an especially meaningful word to me since I entered ministry.  I see so many people, organizations and even ministries that are out of balance.  It is never a good thing.  Balance is.

One humorous incident related to balance is that once, during one of my messages, I asked the congregation what my favorite word was.  By this time I had mentioned it so frequently that I felt confident that the congregation knew the correct answer.  It was then that Herb White shouted out, ‘Beth’!  How could I publicly deny that Beth was my favorite word?  So I had to rephrase my question to what my second favorite word was!  It was then than balance was mentioned.

According to the dictionary, balance means to “match; offset, to keep in equilibrium”.  I suppose that this is a good definition.  Personally, it doesn’t do too much for me.  Needless to say balance is important.  Extremely important.  More than what we think.  It keeps things from going to extremes.  From wearing out prematurely.  From harm.  The following are some areas where we see the importance of balance:

•    Walking.  Fact is we couldn’t walk if we had no balance.  We would be bumbling and stumbling around, and running into things like some drunk.
•    Motors.  These need to be balanced for both optimal results and to prevent premature wear and tear.
•    Tires.  They need to be balanced for both a smoother ride and for longer wear.
•    Load/Cargo.  Whether it’s in a wheel barrow, plane, boat, truck (or someone’s head) cargo needs to be balanced.  If the load suddenly shifts an accident or tragedy could occur.
•    Meals.  Nutritionists tell us that to enjoy optimal health we should eat ‘balanced’ meals.
•    Our Government.  Intentional balance has been built in between the executive, legislative and judicial branches.
•    Nature.  We see this between predators vs. prey as they constantly fluctuate.

So, balance is pretty important in that it produces stability.  Optimal usage.  The best of both worlds.  Unfortunately, while it is so important, it can be hard to come by.  Or to maintain.  Life tends toward imbalance.  So do people.  That is the subject of tomorrow's post.

Lord, I thank you for the balance that I see all around me.  Sunshine and rain.  Hot and cold.  Work and rest.  I know that this balance is from You.  It is something that helps to keep our world stable.  Secure.  Livable.  Enjoyable.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment