Thursday, March 8, 2012

Why Can't Jesus Be Our Hobby? - Part III

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians+1:21&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=I%20COr%2010:31&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians%201:18&version=NIV1984

For the past 2 days I have been posting about hobbies.  And how people pour so much time, energy and money into them.  Then I began to wonder.  Why can't Jesus be our hobby?  Some concluding thoughts on the subject.

After making such a strong case for Jesus as our hobby one might get the idea that I am anti-hobby. Certainly not!  I have already mentioned that I have many hobbies.  And I enjoy them immensely.  But my main hobby is Jesus!  He’s the One that I live for.  He’s the One everything I do centers around.  I make time for Him.  I spend money on Him.  I am passionate about Him.  Now if I can say this as a pastor, someone who gets to spend a lot of time with Jesus, how much more should a lay person be able to say this?  A person who has to devote so much of their time and energy into making a living?  Shouldn't Jesus be their hobby?  

So I return to my original question.  Why can’t Jesus be our hobby?  Really, there is no good reason why He can’t be.  Or shouldn’t be!  He ought to be the Person we can’t wait to spend time with.  For Whom money is no object.  Someone Whom we are very passionate about. 

As we pursue our hobbies, allow me to give some practical ideas in doing so.  One, don't allow a hobby to take time from Jesus.  The rule is Jesus first!  Two, include Jesus in our hobbies.  How about a time of prayer before we hunt or fish?  How about listening to some Christian music as we pursue our hobby?  Or some spiritual conversation as we pursue our hobby with someone else?  Years ago I remember Harry Bolwyn saying that he would not purchase anything for a hobby that he couldn’t also use to reach others for Jesus.  That comment has stuck with me.  If we’re going to purchase that boat, instrument, or sewing machine, how about using it to reach others for Jesus?  Three, let's reevaluate our hobbies periodically.  How much time and energy are going into them that could be going into spiritual hobbies - ministry, short-term missions trips, etc?  It is so sad to see Christians who can't contribute to missions but they are pouring money into their hobbies.  It is so sad to see Christians who can't find the time to be involved in ministry because all of their spare time is being spent in pursuit of their hobbies. 

So go ahead and pursue your hobbies.  Enjoy them.  Let them refresh, relax and satisfy you.  Just make sure that Jesus is your main hobby.  And that your pursuit of hobbies doesn't interfere with your pursuit of Jesus.  That Jesus is a part of all your hobbies.  Then take stock of your life.  Do you have enough time, money, and passion for Jesus?  If not, then maybe several of your current hobbies need to be abandoned.  Give more time, energy, and money to the best hobby - Jesus!  He will satisfy you in more ways than you ever dreamed of!

Lord, there are literally hundreds of hobbies that I can become involved with.  The reality is that I can't do them all.  Nor should I.  Help me that my main hobby will be Jesus.  That He will be the One I want to spend time with.  He will be the One I am excited about.  He will be the One who brings me joy and satisfaction.  In His name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment