Saturday, March 17, 2012

Getting Old - Part I

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Eccl%2012:1-7&version=NIV1984

Getting old.  It happens to all of us.  Whether we want it to happen or not.  The fact is that every day, every single person on this planet is getting older.  That’s something to think about.  Of course, in the beginning of life, getting older is something that is looked forward to.  A couple who has a newborn child eagerly looks forward to their getting older.  And the development that comes with it.  That time when their child actually sleeps through the entire night.  When they can see.  Smile (other than having gas).  Roll over.  Sit up.  Crawl.  Walk.  That eagerness to see their child get older continues right through childhood and throughout their teenaged years.  Finally, one day they turn around and their child is an adult.  They are out of the house and out on their own.  Now their getting older is no longer an issue.

Of course, children themselves are also happy to get older.  In fact, this is a dream of every child.  No matter how old they are now, they can’t wait to get older.  So the 2-year-old can’t wait to become 3.  The 5-year-old can’t wait to become 6.  The 12-year-old can’t wait to become 13.  The reason for this is that each child knows that getting older is a good thing.  They will grow in height.  And weight.  They will become more skillful in certain areas.  And they will become more independent.  They will be able to go places and do things in the future that they cannot now.  Not surprisingly, most children are very sensitive about their age.  Just try underestimating a child’s age (stating that they are younger than they really are) and you will find that you have offended them!  “No I am not 5-years-old.  I am 6!”, they say.  And they are very proud of it.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, a person’s (and our cultures’) response to getting older changes.  It is hard to say exactly where this begins.  I suppose that it depends upon the person.  It seems that it starts about age 40.  Or close to it.  This is because 40 is often seen as middle-age.  (Not by the person becoming 40 but by everybody else!)  All of sudden there is this realization that they are not young anymore.  It has been 20+ years since their high school graduation.  Their bodies have changed.  And generally, not for the better!  They can’t do the things that they once did.  And they begin to realize that a significant portion of their life is now over.  Where did it go?  Now they begin to think about their mortality.  And daunting questions begin to enter their mind.  Just exactly how long am I going to live?  When am I going to die?  Will I enjoy good health up until that time?  Or will I spend my last years in a wheelchair, drooling from my mouth, alone in some nursing home?  Or will I get dementia and get to the point where I no longer know who I am?  Or who anyone else is?  When questions like these enter their mind, it causes them to be afraid.  Afraid of leaving youthfulness behind.  Afraid of getting old.  

More on this subject the next couple days.

Lord, I thank you for how You have walked with me and watched over me all these years.  You knew me before I was even born.  You have predetermined so many things in my life.  My date of birth.  My looks.  My personality.  My gifts and talents.  And the day that I will die.  Help me to live my life to its fullest.  To reach my potential.  To live my life for You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment