Sunday, March 11, 2012

Say It Again Sam

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Heb%2012:1&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Corinthians%209:24-27&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Timothy+4:7&version=NIV1984

This morning we had Sam Zug, Executive Director of Dickey Lake Bible Camp, speak at our church.  He brought along his display of the camp and also showed a DVD of this past years’ camp ministry.  In addition, he also brought the morning message.  His sermon was based upon Hebrews 12:1.  If you are familiar with that verse (you can view it in the link above if you aren’t) it is about running.

I don’t know if it’s popular where you live, but it seems that running has become very popular here the past couple decades.  During the spring and summer there are all kinds of weekend races that people can enter.  Most are 5K (3 miles) and 10K (6 miles).  These are races that the average person can enter and complete.  Of course, if you want to, you can even walk that distance.  You don’t have to run it.  Then there are half-marathons.  These are a little more challenging and are usually reserved for the more serious runners.  At this point I know 4 or 5 people who have started running these the past few years.  And they usually go some distance to do so.  Traveling to Southern California or Arizona.  Personally, I think it’s just an excuse to enjoy some warm weather in the middle of winter!  Then there is the traditional marathon, 26.2 miles.  That has become the ultimate bench mark for many runners.  This is a race that is reserved for only the most dedicated of runners.  I don’t think any ‘weekend’ warriors would consider entering.  And that is good because I doubt that they would finish.

In Sam’s sermon he brought out how the writer of Hebrews viewed life as a race.  I know that the Apostle Paul used that same analogy on several occasions.  And it’s a good analogy.  Every  runner has a goal - to reach the finish line.  One thing is certain, you can’t hope to win any race (from 100 meters to a marathon) if you don’t finish.  Now depending upon your skill level and conditioning, an important aspect of running is perseverance.  Years ago when I took up running, I would run 3 miles a day.  Now you have to understand that I really don’t enjoy running.  At all.  I can think of a hundred better ways to get exercise.  So to run 3 miles I had to make up my mind ahead of time that I was going to run that far.  It didn’t matter whether I got a case of ‘side aches’, my legs hurt, or I was out of breath.  I was determined to run my pre-determined distance and didn’t stop until I had reached it.  (This is where being strong-willed can really comes in handy!) 

Well perseverance is also a necessary ingredient of running the race of life.  As any one who has lived very long knows, life has all kinds of obstacles.  If we are not careful, we can bogged down by them.  And possibly even give up.  I see a number of Christians who have done this.  Somewhere along the way something happened (a divorce, loss of a job, a bad church experience) and they quit running.  They gave up and headed for the sideline.  They didn’t finish the race.  That is so sad.  So perseverance, or running ‘with endurance’ as Hebrews 12:1 puts it, is a necessary ingredient to finish the race of life.  And to finish it well.  That perseverance comes from a determination that nothing is going to come between us and our relationship with Jesus.  That we are going to live for Him, and put our trust in Him, no matter what.

One of the quotes about life and racing that many people are familiar with is that ‘life is a marathon, not a sprint’.  This is so true.  I have seen many people start well and a few years later they are no longer in the race.  It takes perseverance to keep living for Jesus year after year.  Through triumph and tragedy.  Through all of the seasons of life.  But it can be done.  That should be our goal.  And nothing less.  The good news is that Jesus has promised to be with us every step of the way.  He will strengthen us.  He will show us how to get around, over and through the obstacles of life.  And when we finally reach the finish line, we can hear Him say, “Well done!”  That’s what I want for my life.  And I trust it’s what you want as well.

Lord, I thank you that, at this point in my life, I have been in the race for many years.  You and I have covered a lot of ground during this time.  Help me to persevere.  To run with endurance the course that You have set before me.  May I finish well.  And be an inspiration and encouragement to others.  And someday hear you say, “Well done!”  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment