Friday, March 9, 2012

Jesus Stops A Funeral - Part I

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%207:11-17&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2034:17-18&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20103:13&version=NIV1984

In my devotions yesterday morning I read a touching story.  It is found in Luke 7.  Click the link above if you already haven’t to read it for yourself.

In this passage Jesus and His disciples are traveling to Nain.  As they get close to the village they encounter a funeral procession that is coming out of it.  On the funeral bier is a young man.  Of course, the death of someone so young is always tragic.  In the procession is the young man’s mother.  No parent should ever have to bury a child.  That’s not the way that things are supposed to work.  But then again, the death of any person is not the way that things should work.  Once again we are reminded that we live in a sin-filled, fallen world.

Not only does Luke tell us that the young man’s mother is in the funeral procession but that she is also a widow.  Wow.  Think of how this poor woman must have felt.  First she lost her husband.  And now her only son.  A double whammy for sure.  Both of the men in her life are now gone.  It reminds me of a woman I know whose husband died.  As well as her 2 sons and a son-in-law.  Your heart really goes out to someone who has suffered this much loss.  Of course, in that culture the loss of males was huge.  Without her husband, this woman had lost her main source of income.  And unless she happened to have a large dowry safely stashed away she was facing the very real prospect of poverty.  In that situation her son would normally step into the void and help take care of her.  Now her son was also gone.  She was left with no means of financial support.  And two large holes in her heart.

Luke doesn’t provide us with any details about the widow.  Most likely she was crying her heart out.  In that culture people were very demonstrative in their grief.  Loud moaning and groaning.  Piercing shrieks of grief and despair.  And who could blame her?  Life had dealt her some terrible blows.  And the people in the funeral procession were most likely crying and wailing with her.  Luke tells us that many people from the village were in the funeral procession.  Apparently this woman and her family were well-known.  Picture hundreds of people crying and wailing together.  Loudly.  With intense emotion.  This was the scene that Jesus and His disciples came upon that day.

When I read this story I wonder how I would have felt if I were that widow?  I suppose that I might have been tempted to be filled with self-pity.  Why me?  Why my husband?  Why my son?  My only son?  What am I going to do now?  How am I going to survive?  Where is God?  How could He let this happen?  What have I done to deserve this?  Yes, I am sure that the widow had dozens of similar thoughts and questions going through her mind.  But what she didn’t realize at the moment was that God was near.  Nearer than she realized.  And that He cared.  Not only did He care, He was about to do something amazing.  Spectacular.  Beyond anything that she could possibly imagine.  Something that would change her life.

I will conclude this story in tomorrow’s post.

Lord, there is no denying that this world is filled with sadness, heartache and grief.  Every day someone is losing a loved one to death.  Every day untold millions of people are wondering whether You really care?  Thank you for the greatest example of Your care for me and the human race - Jesus!  In His name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment