Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Getting Old - Part IV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isa%2046:4&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Job%2012:12&version=NLT

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Joshua%2014:10-11&version=NIV1984

Preparation for old age should begin not later than one's teens. A life which is empty of purpose until 65 will not suddenly become filled on retirement.  - Dwight L. Moody

Ah, getting old.  Something we can’t wait for when we are children, don’t even think about when we are young adults, and fight tooth-and-nail from middle-age on!  Yes, there is plenty of downside to getting older.  But as we saw yesterday, there is some upside to it as well.  Outside of the social stigma of getting older I don’t think that most people mind if it they enjoy good health and still have their wits about them.  These seem to be the big concerns of most people in connection with aging.  So how should we, as Christians, view getting older?

First of all, the Bible says that old age is a sign of the blessing of God in our lives.  It’s hard to argue with that.  If we’re 60, 70, 80, 90 years old, think of how many years God has blessed us!  Think of all the meals we’ve eaten.  And the shelter He has provided.  And the clothing.  The transportation.  The income.  The health.  The healings.  The wisdom.  The strength.  The comfort.  The point is that if we are the point where we are considered ‘old’ then God must have been pretty involved in our lives.  That is something to be thankful for.  And to praise Him for.

Secondly, age is just a number.  That’s all it is.  All it tells us is how long we’ve been around.  It says nothing about how much longer we have to live.  Or what we can do with that time.  In Joshua 14, as Israel is conquering the land of Canaan, Caleb is 85 years old.  Apparently he didn’t see his age as a disadvantage.  He asked for and received Hebron, the toughest part of the land of Canaan.  One filled with giants.  And he went out in the strength of the Lord and killed those giants.  And took the land for himself and his descendants.  It doesn’t sound like age mattered to him!  And, of course, Moses was 80 before God called him to lead a million people out of Egypt and to the border of the Promised Land.  So, as the saying goes, you’re as young as you feel.  Forget what society and culture tells you.  If you don’t act and think old, then you’re not old.  I don’t care what your age is.

Thirdly, getting older provides us with a wonderful opportunity to serve God.  Let’s face it, life can be pretty hectic at times.  Children, careers, and all the other stuff of life take up much of our time and resources during our early years.  The result is that we don’t have much left of either to serve God.  However, after the children are gone and out of the house and into our retirement years we have a golden opportunity to serve God like we never could before.  Teaching a Sunday School class.  Discipling or mentoring someone else.  Leading a Bible study.  Visiting others.  Or helping them.  Praying.  Going on a short-term missions trip.  Unfortunately, the tragedy of the church today is that the older Christians (with all the time and resources they have at their disposal) are busy enjoying themselves.  And working on their bucket lists. 

Fourthly, getting older means that we get to see the fruits of our labors.  As I mentioned earlier, our age can actually be a good number.  Because we can now look back over the years and see how God has used us.  This can be difficult for us to see when we are young because not enough time has passed.  The jury is still out on the choices we are going to make and their results.  But as we get older these become more apparent.  Let me tell you there is nothing better than to look back over a life that has been lived for God.  Having a long, strong, vibrant marriage.  Children and grandchildren who know the Lord.  People who are now in the Kingdom as a result of your influence.  People whose lives you have touched in dozens of ways.  I know that I am always amazed when someone from my past contacts me to say how God used me to touch their life.  The same holds true for you as well.

I am now closer to 59 than 58 and I’ll tell you what - I’m looking forward to being 60!  So what if I look old.  And people think I’m old.  I don’t feel old!  God has blessed me with good health and a good mind (so far!).  And I plan on using them both in service to Him as long as I can.  I look back over my life and see how God has blessed me.  He’s given me a wonderful wife whom I have been married to for 36+ years.  He’s given me wonderful children and grandchildren.  I have an occupation where I get to use all of my talents and gifts for Him.  I am OK with this stage of life.  I have acquired a lot of wisdom over the years.  I can look back and see how God has used and blessed me.  I am looking forward to the future.  And however long God has for me.

So I say once again that getting older is not all bad.  There are wonderful things about this stage of life that are not present in our youth.  There are opportunities to be used.  Opportunities to make a difference.  To see God at work.  So don’t dread and fear getting older.  Celebrate it.  Cherish it.  Getting old is a sign of God’s blessing in your life.  So enjoy your ‘older’ years.  Treasure them.  Spend them in service to God.  You won’t regret it!

Lord, I thank you for the gift of life.  And the many years that You have given to me so far.  I give You praise for all that You have done in me.  And all that You're going to do through me.  Teach me to number my days.  Help me to take full advantage of the time that I have left.  To live my life for you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment