Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Unwilling To Apologize

I read in yesterday’s paper that NASCAR driver Kurt Busch took 1st place at the Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA this past Sunday.  I admit that I am not a big NASCAR fan.  Something about watching race cars go round and round and round on the same old track isn’t that appealing to me.  I suppose that would change if I were driving one of them!  Anyway, in the article it said that Busch beat rival driver Jeff Gordon by 4 seconds.  Still nothing of particular interest to me.  Then I read a little of the background of these 2 drivers and this particular race.

In last year’s race it seems that Gordon had several different ‘incidents’ with other drivers, alternately cutting them off or sending them spinning and crashing into oblivion.  One of those victims was Busch.  It was an unusual display of selfish driving for Gordon and afterwards he apologized individually to every driver he had wrecked except Busch.  This made Sunday’s victory by Busch over Gordon extra sweet to him.  Gordon did congratulate Busch in Victory Lane after his win but also added, “I still didn’t apologize.”

The question I have is why?  Why wouldn’t a person apologize for causing someone else to wreck or spin out?  The only reason I can come up with is pride.  Or if it was payback for something that Busch had done to him earlier, then it was revenge.  Either reason is selfish and not a good display of sportsmanship.  Nor is it a good testimony for a Christian which Gordon claims to be.  (http://www.go2mro.com/testimonies/jeffgordon.php)

It’s not my intent to say that Gordon is not a Christian.  What I am saying is that there is something about sports that often brings out the worst in people - both players and spectators alike.  Having both played and watched sports for more than 4 decades I have seen more than a few Christians forget all about their commitment to Jesus as soon as they walked on to the court or the field (or sat down in the stands).  I don’t know why this is.  Pride, anger, revenge, swearing, cheating, slander - the list of sins that are evident in practically any sporting event is almost endless.  I do know this.  When Christian athletes and fans act this way it always leaves a bad impression on non-Christians and pushes them further from the cross.

The solution?  The Spirit-filled life.  In Galatians 5:22-23 we are told that “the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control.”  As I look at this list, self-control in the heat of the moment would certainly be something that every Christian should desire to have and display.  (Love, patience and kindness would be helpful as well). 

Thank God that there are many Christian athletes who do live for Jesus on and off the field.  These are the athletes that others notice, that others respect, that others are attracted to, that other listen to.

Lord, the moment that I play or watch sports, may I remember that You are more important than any sporting event.  Help me to always be conscious of Your Spirit indwelling and enabling me and remind me of the incredible opportunity that I have to be a witness for You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment