Sunday, June 5, 2011

Himself

A. B. Simpson, founder of the Christian & Missionary Alliance, wrote a very special poem entitled, Himself.  It is a wonderful poem that speaks to an important distinction - that of loving Jesus because of what He does for us and loving Jesus for who He is.  Sadly, much of American Christianity is packaged as Jesus being nothing more that some sort of Heavenly Genie - rub the bottle through prayer every time we have a need and then put the bottle back on the shelf once that need has been met.  Where we need to go, where Jesus wants us to arrive at, is our relationship with Him.  It is out of our relationship with Him that needs are met and from which blessings flow.  Without Jesus, the provisions and blessings we receive would be hollow, sterile, devoid of any deep feelings of love and appreciation.  Enjoy!

HIMSELF - by A. B. Simpson

Once it was the blessing, now it is the Lord,
Once it was the feeling, now it is His Word.
Once His gifts I wanted, now the Giver own,
Once I sought for healing, now Himself alone.

Once 'twas painful trying, now 'tis perfect trust,
Once a half salvation, now the uttermost.
Once 'twas ceaseless holding, now He holds me fast,
Once 'twas constant drifting, now my anchor's cast.

Once 'twas busy planning, now 'tis trustful prayer,
Once 'twas anxious caring, now He has the care.
Once 'twas what I wanted, now what Jesus says,
Once 'twas constant asking, now 'tis ceaseless praise.

Once it was my working, His it hence shall be,
Once I tried to use Him, now He uses me.
Once the power I wanted, now the Mighty One,
Once for self I labored, now for Him alone.

Once I hoped in Jesus, now I know He's mine,
Once my lamps were dying, now they brightly shine.
Once for death I waited, now His coming hail,
And my hopes are anchored, safe within the vale.

No comments:

Post a Comment