Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hopscotch

 
A couple weeks ago I was doing some research for a sermon, and for reasons that escape me now, I googled 'hopscotch'.  Practically every child in the world has played this game.  It's rather easy to play.  All you need is some chalk and a driveway or sidewalk and a rock and you're ready to go.  It is with great fondness that I remember playing this game as a young boy and making all the girls in my neighborhood mad because I was so good at it.  (Who knew that this was the only game I was ever going to be good at!)

Not having kept up on hopscotch that much in the last half-century I was surprised to learn that there is a world championship for it!  For hopscotch, really?  I guess I am out of the loop!  Every 4 years there is the International Hopscotch World Cup which is held in England.  It attracts athletes (is it fair to call them this?) from countries such as Australia, Canada, China, England, Romanian and the USA.  (I wonder if it is broadcast on one of the ESPN channels - say ESPN 43?)

But what really got my attention was the fact that apparently there has been something of a doping scandal in the sport that involves the use of performance enhancing drugs!  PED's?  For hopscotch?  For what?  Just exactly how big is the court, half a block?  I would think that as long as a person was sober, had some semblance of balance, and could see, that they could go a long way in this sport!  PED's - who'd have thought!

Once again this just points the exceeding sinfulness of our world.  It reminds me of Genesis 6:5, "The Lord saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time."  Are we that far behind?  I don't think so.  Fortunately the Holy Spirit is still alive and active in our world through people such as you and me!  Let it shine, baby, let it shine!

Lord, only Your great patience and mercy keep Your wrath from being unleashed on this world.  May the way that I live demonstrate Your grace and mercy to those around me and may they respond in love.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment