Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Router

Recently I purchased a router for my home.  I have a laptop computer that I use at the office and a desktop that I use at home.  On Tuesdays & Wednesdays I work on my sermon in my study at home because I need quiet so that I can concentrate.  The problem is that I use my laptop while working on my sermon and it doesn’t have internet access when I’m home.  It does when I’m at the office, since it is connected to the church wireless network, but at home only the desktop is connected to the internet.  I could unplug the phone line from the desk top and switch it to my laptop but that is a real pain.  So what I end up doing is using my desktop to look things up on the internet and then type them into my laptop.  It is rather comical to see me sitting at the chair in front of my desktop, looking at the screen, while typing on my laptop!

Before I get to the spiritual aspect of this story allow me to rant.  When I purchased the router from the store the side of the box said, in big, bold letters - Easy 3 Step Connection Process.  I should have known not to trust the advertisement.  Let me say this - THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ‘EASY’ WHEN IT COMES TO COMPUTERS!!!  I took the router out of the package, hooked everything up, put in the installation CD, and nothing!  When my son-in-law came over (who knows more about this stuff than I do) he confirmed that everything was connected properly.  So he called the 800# for tech support.  He must have been on the phone with this guy for 30+ minutes, going to all kinds of screens, making all kinds of changes.  After all was said and done, the router still didn’t work and I could no longer access the internet!  Long story short, I had to call the tech guy at my local internet provider to get back on the internet and take the router to my provider and have it physically programmed.  Finally the router worked!  3 Easy Steps.  Yeah, right.  (I feel so much better now having typed this!)

Anyway, now that my router is working it is heaven on earth at my house.  I can take my laptop anywhere, anywhere, and connect to the internet - while sitting on the couch, lying in bed, even in the bathroom! :)  It is absolutely wonderful and has made my life much, much easier.

It occurred to me that this is a wonderful example of prayer.  Because we are God’s children through faith in Jesus, we have 24/7 access to Him anywhere, anywhere - at home, work, school, on the road, in the air, on the water, on vacation.  It’s absolutely wonderful and it makes our lives so much better!

Lord, thank you for the incredible privilege of prayer, that we can talk to You, the Lord of the Universe, anytime, anywhere!  Thank you that You want us to call on You and when we do, You always answer.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment