Monday, June 6, 2011

My Garden & The Gardener

I finally finished planting my garden on Saturday.  I started it last Monday but ran out of time.  Since I don’t think I can manage a large garden, mine is fairly small, 3' x 16'.  The staples of my garden are tomatoes & cucumbers.  I have planted peppers for a number of years but usually I get just 2 peppers (and then not even full-sized) between 6 plants!  So this year the peppers are out and I planted a strawberry plant, lettuce, some sweet onions and a few red potatoes.

Even though my garden is rather small it still takes a lot of time to get ready each season.  Each year I try to put some nutrients back into the soil so I added compost and some sulphur (since the soil here tends to be rather alkaline).  Then I added peat moss to the top to also help with the pH and for moisture retention before putting some black fabric on top of the garden for purposes of weed control.  Finally, I cut holes in the fabric, spacing the plants as best as I could before spraying everything with deer repellant.  Last, but not least, I watered it.

When I finished working on my garden, I was happy.  There is something about completing a job that always brings a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment.  I even prayed a small blessing over my garden that God would cause it to be productive.  Now the watering, the weeding and the waiting begins.  Every couple of days I will check on the garden - eliminating suckers, staking the tomatoes, and pruning unwanted growth.  As the summer goes on, fruit will appear and get larger and larger until it is finally ready to pick.  Then Beth and I will enjoy some delicious, succulent vegetables which will greatly add to the overall delightfulness of our meals.

As I was working on my garden, my thoughts naturally turned to God.  In the same way that I am going to be constantly monitoring my garden over the summer, giving attention where it is needed, and rejoicing in every sign of growth - so does God!  As Christians, we are His plants, tenderly placed in the soil of His love, basking in the warmth of His Son and experiencing the refreshing rain of His Spirit.  Day after day God eagerly checks up on us, monitoring our progress, giving attention where it is needed, rejoicing in every sign of our spiritual growth. 

When I think of God as the eager, expectant Gardener, it gives me a whole new appreciation for Him.  God in very interested in us!  Every day He eagerly checks our progress, making sure that we have everything we need to grow and be fruitful.  He rejoices as He sees the Fruit Of The Spirit grow in our lives and He can barely wait for the harvest.  One day, our lives are going to be fully ripe and He will pick us - taking us to Heaven with Him where we will bring delight to Him for all eternity!

Philippians 1:6 - “Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”

Lord, thank you that You care for me so much.  As my Heavenly Gardener, You are vitally interested in my growth and You provide everything I need to be fruitful.  May my life be full of fruit which will make You happy and bring glory to Your name.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment