Sunday, February 12, 2012

Me & Angelo Dundee

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=pHIL%204:13&version=KJV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%208:31&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+18:24&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Heb%2012:1&version=NIV1984

On February 1st of this month one of the ‘greats’ of the world of boxing died.  Funny thing, he wasn’t a boxer.  Nor was he a promoter.  Instead he was a cornerman.  The man’s name was Angelo Dundee.  He died at 90 years of age having spent more than 60 years in professional boxing.  During his career, Dundee worked with such fighters as Mohammed Ali & Sugar Ray Leonard.  His knowledge of boxing as well as his skill was unsurpassed.

So, what is a cornerman?  A cornerman is your trainer.  He’s also the one who’s in your corner when you are in the ring, hence the name.  While the cornerman doesn’t throw a single punch his presence is absolutely essential to a boxer in the ring.  Among other things the cornerman inspires his boxer.  Get’s him pumped up.  But not too pumped.  He also goes over the strategy of how the boxer is going to attack his opponent.  During the fight he might yell instructions or encouragement.  In between rounds the cornerman might heal a cut on his boxer.  Or give some instructions on what he is doing wrong.  Or how to exploit an opponent’s weakness.  Of course, a huge part of a cornerman’s job is to encourage his boxer.  The guy is literally taking a beating.  So the cornerman’s job is to keep encouraging his boxer.  Tell him that he can make it one more round.  That the fight can end up being his if only he won’t give up.  Of course, in rare cases the cornerman knows when to throw in the towel.  To end the fight.  Before his boxer gets seriously injured. 

Why am I posting about a cornerman?  I’ve never been to a boxing match in my life.  Yet I have a real bond with cornermen.  Why?  Because I do pretty much the same thing.  Over the years that I have been in ministry I have come to see myself as a cornerman for people.  When people come by for counseling and help in dealing with life, I spring into action.  We talk about whatever is going on.  How they are feeling.  What they are thinking.  Then I give them some advice.  Call it strategy.  Strategy based upon God’s Word.  Strategy based upon my years of working with people.  And the insights that God has provided me regarding human nature.  Then I encourage them.  Encourage them that others have struggled with the exact same issues they are facing.  And have come through them successfully.  I encourage them that God is ready, willing and able to help them.  That while I have to stay in the corner while they go out into the ring of life, that the Holy Spirit is with them in the ring.  After praying with them I send them out to face life.  To give it all they’ve got.

If they get beat up pretty bad, they come back and see me.  Think of this like being in between rounds.  I tend to their wounds.  I give them some much-needed perspective.  I remind them of God’s promises.  And how others have been victorious.  Most of all I encourage them.  Let them know what they are doing right.  Let them know that even though they have their doubts about whether they can win, that I am in their corner.  I know that they can beat this situation.  And I really do believe it.  Then I send them out to face life once again.

The fact is that everyone in life needs a couple cornermen.  Those cornermen can be anyone.  Not only a pastor but a spouse.  A teacher.  A youth pastor.  A friend.  Anyone who is supportive of them.  Anyone who encourages them to not give up.  To go back out there and to give it all they’ve got.  Of course, the ultimate cornerman is God.  As a Christian, God is always in our corner.  Always offering support.  Healing.  Strategy.  Encouragement.  And best of all, as I have already mentioned, He is in the ring with us!

So if you find yourself in the battle of your life, first turn to God.  He knows what You’re going through.  If you will only listen to Him, He will provide you with not only a winning strategy but the power to keep going.  To keep fighting.  To be victorious.  And along the way He will give you support and encouragement.  Then find a few people who can be your physical cornermen.  People who believe in you.  Who will be there for you.  Supporting you.  Encouraging you.  Loving you.

Also seek to be a cornerman for somebody else.  A parent.  A child.  A spouse.  A classmate.  A fellow-worker or believer.  Chances are that there are several people in your life right now who found benefit from knowing that you are in their corner.  Support them.  Encourage them.  Love them.  Pray for them.  Who knows but that you might the person that God uses to help them be victorious.  To accomplish great things for Him!

Lord, I thank you that the Bible says that You are always in my corner.  Healing.  Encouraging.  Supporting.  Strategizing.  Loving.  I thank you for the privilege that I have had to do the same for others.  May I continue to be a cornerman for all who need it.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment