Thursday, February 9, 2012

Forgetfulness & God

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+49:15&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+44:21&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+6:10&version=NIV1984

Lately I have been forgetting things.  Two weeks ago after playing the songs for Transformation Kids I wanted to run over the songs for Youth Group.  No binder.  I looked everywhere for it.  I couldn’t find it.  Finally, just when I was about to go home to look for it, I spied it leaning on the inside of a pew.  Right where I left it.  Right where I couldn’t see it.  Then Tuesday night I had a Nominating Committee meeting.  All 4 of us are in my office and I go to pull out my folder with the materials in it.  It’s not there.  I looked everywhere in my computer case.  Twice.  Then I looked in another case I brought along.  Nothing.  So I call Beth.  Sure enough the folder was in my office at home.  So I had to take 10 minutes to go and get it.  Earlier today I couldn’t find some notes from a meeting the previous night.  They were tucked away in the wrong folder.  Tonight I misplaced a DVD that I had intended to take to church with me.  I looked all over for it.  I found it at home.  I had laid it down on a shelf when I went to throw some garbage out. 

This bout with forgetfulness is beginning to bother me.  I never forget anything.  I am about as organized and efficient as they come.  So, what’s the problem?  Am I working too hard?  Too many irons in the fire?  The beginning of dementia?  As I think about it, I am probably too busy.  Trying to do too many things.  The result is that I am preoccupied.  Always thinking about something else other than what I’m doing.  So I forget where I put things.  Or whether I’ve done something or not.  Once again, there is a spiritual application in this.

While I might forget things, God never does.  He forgets nothing.  Ever.  Not only does He hear every prayer that’s prayed, He answers every one as well.  God doesn’t get overwhelmed.  Or distracted.  He doesn’t suffer from memory loss or lapses.  He remembers.  All the time.

How great is this!  In Joshua 23, Joshua is giving his farewell address to the Israelites.  He has been their leader ever since taking over for Moses decades earlier.  In verse 14 he says the following: “You know with all your heart and soul that not one of all the good promises the Lord your God gave you has failed.”  Isn’t that amazing!  God had kept all of His promises to His people.  Why?  First of all, because the Israelites had obeyed Him.  Secondly, because God never forgets!  He makes a promise and He will remember it.  It will be kept.

I take great comfort in this.  I forget things.  Lately, a lot more than I want to.  And the people around me forget things.  It happens.  As the saying goes, no one is perfect.  Except God.  He never forgets.  Ever.  He will never forget any of His promises.  And He will never forget you. 

Lord, I thank you that You never forget anything.  You remember all Your promises.  And you remember me.  How I appreciate this.  In return, help me not to forget You.  Your love.  Your kindness.  Your mercy.  Your sacrifice.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment