Thursday, February 2, 2012

Groundhog Day: Have You Learned Your Lesson Yet?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%201:2-4&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=faith%2C+gold&qs_version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%208:28&version=NIV1984

Today is Groundhog Day.  Apparently Punxsutawney Phil has predicted 6 more weeks of winter.  I don’t think anyone is jumping off a bridge about that one.  This winter has been so mild over much of the country that the only ones complaining are those who plow snow for a living.  And those who do collision repair!

Of course, one can’t help but think on this day of the 1993 movie, Groundhog Day.  In the movie, meteorologist Phil Connors is sent to cover the annual Groundhog Day event.  He is a vain and arrogant man and hates the assignment.  Unable to leave town because of a snowstorm, Connors wakes up the next morning, only to find that it is Groundhog Day again.  And again.  At first this causes Connors to act recklessly, knowing that the next morning, the day will repeat itself.  Gradually, since he seems resigned to re-living the day forever, he begins to make himself productive - helping people, saving lives, etc.  Finally, after his life has been transformed from selfish to unselfish, he breaks free from the monotonous cycle.  And he decides to settle in Punxsutawney.  Where he knows and cares for everybody.  Where he is loved and cherished in return.     

In reflecting on this, I have noticed patterns in my life.  Although I might not repeat days endlessly, I have lived long enough to see some of the same situations over and over again.  Such as the one I am currently going through.  I am a pretty responsible guy and so I take my work very seriously.  Well, there has been so much ‘extra’ stuff going on, and I am so busy with the routine stuff, that I can’t seem to get to things that I need to do.  Like filling out end-of-the-year reports.  Reports that have a deadline.  Like Monday!  Then there are committee meetings that I need to have.  Before we can have our Annual Meeting.  Some churches have already had their Annual Meeting.  I am so far behind!  When I get behind I get stressed.  This means I work harder.  Longer.  And my interactions with people become less.  Shorter.  I have to get my work done!  This causes me to be uptight.  Nervous.  Stressed.

The funny thing is, this isn’t the first time I have been down this trail.  It has happened to me dozens of time in ministry.  And every time I get pressed for time, I get nervous.  Stressed.  It’s like I can’t seem to break the cycle!  It’s almost like God keeps allowing these situations to happen until I get it right.  Until I learn.  Until I learn that God will never give me more than I can do.  Until I learn to delegate more.  Until I learn that it’s OK to not get everything done at times.

Perhaps you are experiencing the same thing.  It could be a financial crisis that you seem to periodically go through.  Or it could be a strained relationship.  Or health concerns.  We don’t do too well in handling it.  But somehow we get through it.  And then it happens again.  And again.  And again.
 
I believe that God allows these situations to happen for a reason.  Like Phil Connors in Groundhog Day, when we fail to learn our lesson, God is faithful to keep giving it to us.  Again.  And again.  And again.  Until we get it right.  He wants us to put our faith in Him.  To trust Him to work the situation or circumstances out.  To experience the joy of His Presence while we are going through tough times.  After all, anyone can enjoy God during good times.  (Though not many people do.)  But how many people can be calm, cool and relaxed when life gets busy?  Or rough?  Or when it is unfair?  How many people can calmly enjoy God’s Presence in the midst of the storms of life?  Not very many.  Not me so far.

But I’m not going to give up.  And neither is God.  He loves me too much to let me fail and walk away from it.  He is my biggest fan and supporter.  He knows what I am capable of.  What I am capable of when I depend on Him.  And He knows what you are capable of as well.  That’s why He keeps giving you the same lesson, over and over again.  Because He wants you to succeed.  To see your faith grow.  To become closer to Him.

So Groundhog Day is actually a very special day.  Not because of a weather-predicting groundhog.  But because it is an opportunity for you and I to learn our lessons.  To graduate to the next level.  And more lessons!  And in so doing to become closer to God.  And bring glory to His name!

Lord, I wish that I was a faster learner but I’m not.  I seem to keep failing the lessons You are trying to get me to learn.  I am glad that You haven’t given up on me.  When You look at me You see potential.  For more potential than I see in myself.  So help me to look to You in the midst of my trials and difficulties.  To know that You are behind them.  To understand that You are using them to strengthen my faith.  And my relationship with You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment