Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tasting God?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2034:8&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Peter+2:2-4&version=NIV1984

There is a verse of Scripture that I have known for years but I’ve never really thought about it before.  Until recently.  It’s from one of my favorite chapters, Psalm 34.  In v 8 it says, “Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him.”  Yesterday the Holy Spirit brought this verse to my mind.  As I thought about it I wondered something.  What does it mean to ‘taste’ the Lord?  I had to admit after all these years I had never considered this before.

At first glance I would say that this is a weird verse.  What does ‘tasting’ have to do with God?  After all, I wouldn’t have said to Beth when we were dating, “Taste me and see that I am good!”  If I did, she would certainly have thought that I was a little weird.  The fact is that we usually don’t use the word ‘taste’ in association with people.  (Unless you’re a cannibal!)  While we do use ‘taste’ to describe a person’s preferences for food, music, clothes, etc. we usually don’t use it to describe a relationship.  But that is exactly what David is doing here.  He is using ‘taste’ to describe a relationship with God.

Since my wife watches our grandchildren four days a week, they eat many meals with us.   Occasionally they will want to try something that Beth or I are eating.  Such as clam chowder or tomato juice.  So they ask for a bite.  Or a sip.  What they want is a small sampling.  A taste.  Why?  Because they want to find out whether they like it or not.  Until they know whether they like the particular food or drink they aren’t interested in large portions of it.  As it is, if they don’t like something they might just spit it back out!

So to ‘taste’ the Lord means to try Him.  To step out in faith.  To evaluate our experience with Him.  To discern whether it was good or bad.  The point that David is making here is that if we do ‘taste’ the Lord, we will be satisfied.  Why?  Because the Lord is good!  He is good for our spirit.  He is good for our mind.  He is good for our emotions.  And once we have tasted His goodness we will be ready for a much larger helping!

The question then for each of us is, ‘Have I tasted God?’  If not, then why not?  If you’re one of those people who has been interested in Him for some time but has never followed through on it, then today is your day!  Come to Him.  Take a step toward Him.  Taste and see that He is good.  He will never let you down.  Soon you’ll be hooked.  You’ll want more and more of Him.  The fact is that we can never get too much of God.  Never!

Perhaps you are already a Christian.  But maybe you haven’t been living for Him.  You became preoccupied.  Or got lost somewhere along the way.  Taste the Lord.  Let your heart and mind remember just how good He really is.  Chances are that when you do, you will wonder why you wandered off in the first place!

And for the believer who is playing it pretty close to the vest, God is speaking to you as well.  No, you haven’t wandered away from Him.  But you haven’t exactly been running toward Him either.  You’ve become stuck at a certain point in your relationship with Him and haven’t grown from there.  Take a taste.  Step out in faith.  Try witnessing.  Or serving.  Or whatever God has been putting on your heart.  When you do, you will see that He is good.  And the closer you come to Him, the closer you will want to be.

So, the next time you eat a meal, take a drink, or eat a snack, think.  'Have I tasted God lately?'  Don’t let one of the great pleasures of this life go by without partaking.  Taste.  Eat.  Drink.  Feast.  Devour.  For the Lord is good!

Lord, I thank you for the words in Scripture that You use to speak to me.  Words that stir my imagination.  And arouse my curiosity.  Like taste.  I have never thought about the richness of that word and how it applies to You.  Yes, I have tasted You over and over in my life.  And You are good.  All the time.  Give me an insatiable appetite for more of You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment