Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Illusion: A Problem-Free Life

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=I%20Peter%201:6-7&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hab%203:17-18&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Rom%208:28&version=NIV1984

My devotional reading for today got right to the point.  In the very first sentence!  “Give up the illusion that you deserve a problem-free life.  Part of you is still hungering for the resolution of all difficulties.  This is a false hope.”  Wow.  That is me alright.  I’ve never been a big ‘problem’ guy.  I mean if I could go through life without having any problems I’d do it.  In a heartbeat.  Yeah, all that ‘problems make you better’ stuff is overrated.  All problems do is slow you down.  Cause you stress.  Wear you out.  Problems - who needs them?  I don’t!

It wasn’t until I read that first sentence that something clicked.  That is me in a nutshell.  I keep hoping and praying that my current problem will be my last.  That after I have gotten beyond it I will be home free.  Unfortunately, the problems keep coming.  Day after day.  Like the relentless waves of the ocean crashing upon the shore problems keep surfacing in my life.  Sometimes I wonder, with my general dislike of problems, how in the world I came to be in ministry?  Ministry is nothing but problems and helping people deal with them.  What was I thinking?  Was I even thinking?  Yes, I was.

That’s what I love about God’s Word.  It often goes against my inclinations.  My idea of what would be best for my life.  I keep holding on to this ‘illusion’ that a problem-free life is obtainable.  And optimal.  Unfortunately I am wrong on both counts.  There is no such thing as a problem-free life.  Never has been.  Never will be.  Even Jesus, the perfect Son of God, had to deal with problems.  And I must admit, after reading Scripture, that having a problem-free life isn’t even preferable.  Ouch!  My selfish desires die hard.

Here’s what James had to say about problems, aka, trials in life.  In Ch 1:2-4 it says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”  So, apparently the only way that I am going to grow in my relationship with God is by experiencing problems.  Difficulties.  Trials.  As I am tested by these, I am forced to rely upon God.  For His wisdom, strength and patience.  So, the more problems I have, the more I have to rely upon God, the closer to Him I become.  Now when problems are cast in that light I can be OK with them.  I haven’t exactly got to the point where I am ‘counting it pure joy’ yet, but it may come.  After all, I am a pretty slow learner.

I guess what I can take away from my devotions today is that I just need to give up my illusion, or rather my delusion, that I deserve a problem-free life.  It just sounds so nice.  And there are times when dreaming of it makes my present reality seem so much better.  But the fact is that my illusion is not helping me.  It is only serving to make me ‘soft’.  It is only serving to discourage me when problems do arise.  It’s like I’m not expecting them.  So I need to quit living in denial and face the facts.  Problems are as much a part of life as breathing is.  Once I accept this I won’t resist them so much.  I won’t make them out to be bigger than they actually are.  I will also find myself mentally and spiritually prepared for them.  Instead of constantly being taken by surprise.

I don’t know where you are in relationship to problems.  My guess is that you don’t like them very much either.  But we aren’t doing ourselves any favors if we aren’t dealing with reality.  If we choose to hide our heads in the sand.  Or live in a fantasy world.  Ultimately, when we do this, we are dishonoring God.  Because He’s obviously making a mistake by allowing problems to invade our lives.  He must also be pretty weak if He can’t prevent them.

Yet the exact opposite is true.  The fact is that our God is strong enough to help us in the real world.  To deal with real problems.  Any problem.  Victoriously.  He is also a very wise God.  He knows that if life were a bed of roses (without the thorns!) that we’d become lazy.  Weak.  Soft.

So I guess I’m going to have to readjust my expectations.  I should expect problems.  And I should expect God’s help with each of them.  If this is the case, then maybe somewhere along the line I just might welcome them.  Because, after all, it helps me get closer to my Father.  That is always a good thing!

Lord, You know how much I hate problems.  How I long to have an easy, quiet, problem-free life.  Unfortunately this isn’t Heaven.  And the fact is that You use problems in my life to help me grow.  To mature me.  To help deepen my relationship with You.  So help me to readjust my thinking. To expect problems.  And to expect You to help me with them.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a lot of rationalization. What is the point of serving God if God does not help those who serve him? Is there not a quid pro quo between God and man?

    ReplyDelete