Saturday, January 7, 2012

Can You Love Your Church Too Much?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+1:18&version=KJV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+42:8&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%2011:36&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Phil%202:9-11&version=NIV1984

There’s a church in town that is doing very well.  (Not in the picture!)  Young pastor.  Great preacher.  Cutting edge worship.  Loud.  Lots of excitement.  Lots of young people.  Great marketing.  Their own radio station.  They only started about 4 years ago and already they’ve grown by leaps and bounds.  The good news is that they preach the Gospel.  And they are attempting to make a difference for Christ in the world.  God is obviously blessing them.  Only one problem.

Some people who go there like it too much.  Really?  How can people like their church and pastor too much?  Let me explain.  The church has quickly gained a cult-like following among some of its members.  I hear it in on the street.  I hear it from our Youth Pastor.  And I see it on Facebook.  The comments about how great their pastor is.  His messages.  The music.  Their ‘youth’ program.  That is all well and good.  I would that every person was proud of their church and pastor!  Wouldn’t that be a switch!  Unfortunately, in the euphoria over pastor and church, no one’s talking about Jesus!  Now I don’t believe that the pastor or the church leadership is actively encouraging this kind of ‘worship’.  But it is prevalent nonetheless.  And it’s sad.

It’s sad because we all have a tendency to do this.  When a pastor becomes nationally known the church is referred to by his name.  Chuck Swindoll’s church.  Greg Laurie’s church.  Andy Stanley’s church.  Joel Olsteen’s church.  These pastors don’t refer to their church in this way.  (At least not that I know of!)  But we do.  And we praise the great ministries of various churches.  How they are leading the way in feeding the hungry.  Fighting for social justice.  Restoring marriages.  Freeing people of addictions.  Taking care of widows and orphans.  We also praise the music of our church.  And its small groups.  And just about everything else....but Jesus.  Why is this?

Frankly, I don’t know.  Sadly I have to admit that I am part of the problem.  Maybe you are too?  When I am really blessed by a sermon, a song, a ministry, or another person, do I immediately praise Jesus for it?  Do I give thanks to Him?  Not directly.  The direct praise, more often than not, seems to go to humans.  The indirect praise goes to Jesus.  Certainly we would have to conclude that we have the cart before the horse.  It just goes to show one thing.  It is to keep Jesus the main thing.  In our fallen, sinful world.  In Heaven, it’s a different story.  All the praise, and the honor, and the glory, belongs to Jesus.  All of it.

What can we do about this?  They say that half of solving a problem is knowing that you have a problem.  I think this adage applies here.  As we live constantly in the Spirit, as we are continually aware of the Presence of Jesus in our lives, our natural (or should I say supernatural) tendency will be to give Him the praise and the glory first.  Because He is the main thing.  And everything in this world is ultimately about Him.  That’s the way it should be.

So, go ahead and compliment your pastor.  And your Sunday School teacher.  And worship leader.  Let them know how their ministry is blessing you.  And thank God for your church.  And its ministries.  And the impact it’s having on the world.  You should rightfully be proud of it.  But first, praise Jesus!  Give Him the glory.  And the praise.  And the honor.  And the thanks.

Lord, I confess that sometimes I praise others far more than I praise You.  In so doing I am dishonoring You.  And not giving You the honor and glory that You deserve.  Help me to be aware of this.  And to change it.  Help me that I will be so conscious of Your presence that whenever I am blessed I will immediately give praise and thanks to You.  And then to others.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment