Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I Want To Be A Tree

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%201&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah%2017:7-8&version=NIV


Not too long ago our 4-year-old grandson Brett came and confided in me.  “Pap, Pap, I have a problem.  When I grow up I want to be a fireman, a bondsman, a detective and a pastor.  I don’t know how I can do all of them?”  A pretty big problem indeed for someone so young!  All of the above occupations are either his dad’s or mine.  Just goes to show the influence of male figures in a young boy’s life.  I spoke reassuringly to him.  “Brett, there’s nothing to say that you can’t do all these things.  Let’s just wait and see what God has in store for you.”  He seemed satisfied with my answer.  For now.

Like Brett, most children have dreams of what they’d like to do or become when they are older.  These dreams vary from child to child.  Some want to be a princess.  Or a super hero.  Others want to be a quarterback.  Or a model.  A singer.  An actress.  A doctor.  A nurse.  And who knows but that they might not actually realize their dream?  Certainly there are some children who grow up to be exactly what they wanted to be when they were a child.  In my own life, shortly after I started going to church at age 10, I decided that I wanted to become a pastor.  This was before I was even a Christian!  And now look at me!  God does certainly move in mysterious ways at times.  However, at this stage of life I have decided that I want to be something different.  I want to become a tree.  Yes, a tree.  Let me explain.

Last year I decided to go from memorizing various verses of Scripture to memorizing entire passages.  Certainly there are a lot of great verses scattered throughout the Bible and they are very helpful to our spiritual growth.  But there is also great benefit in memorizing an entire passage of Scripture as well.  So I memorized Philippians 2:5- 11 where it says that Jesus humbled Himself by becoming a servant.  And John 15:1-8 about the vine and the branches.  The one passage that really spoke to me, however, was Psalm 1.  If you are familiar with this Psalm at all you know that the author uses a simile to illustrate a spiritual truth.  He likens a person who doesn’t associate or listen to the wicked to a tree.  In verse 3 we read:

“That person is like a tree
 planted by streams of water,
   which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
   whatever they do prospers.”

This is the kind of tree that everyone likes.  And benefits from.  Strong.  Healthy.  Fruitful.  Lots of shade.  Pleasant to look at.  An additional requirement for becoming this kind of tree is found in verse 2:

“whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on His law day and night.”

As nutrients in the soil are to a tree so is God’s Word to the spiritually-mature and strong Christian.  It is absolutely critical to their survival and health.

So, I have decided that I want to become a tree.  A godly tree.  Someone who is stable.  Strong.  Who can withstand the storms of life.  Someone who provides such things as fruit, shade and beauty to others around me.  Someone who adds to the scenery.  And, as every tree points skyward to its Creator, I want my life to point others to Jesus.

Lord, I admire trees.  Especially the big, tall ones.  They are so strong.  Massive.  Imposing.  They can withstand so much.  And provide so much to so many.  Help me to be like the tree in Psalm 1.  Strong.  Fruitful.  Leafy.  Someone who can withstand the storms of life.  Someone who provides so much to so many.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment