Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Enough Evidence?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=I%20COr%2010:31&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+5:16&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians%201:27&version=NIV1984

On Saturday our family got together and celebrated Brett’s 5th birthday.  Wow.  How much has changed in our family in those 5 years.  During this time we have welcomed 4 grandchildren.  And another one is on the way in 2 months!  This caused me to do a little reflecting.  It is the opinion of many that the first few years of marriage are some of the best in life.  There’s only the two of you.  So you spend time together.  Do things together.  Enjoy each other.  While I certainly enjoyed that stage of my life I will say this - the grandparenting  years can also be some of the best!

Today, as I was eating lunch at the dining room table (by myself) I began to look around the house.  What did I see?  Evidences of grandchildren everywhere.  Here’s a quick list:
    - a toy box overflowing with toys
    - a plastic kitchen
    - 3 plastic tubs filled w/blocks
    - 3 small plastic stackable chairs
    - 3 booster chairs (for eating meals) w/children’s bibs draped over the backs   
    - an infant swing & bouncer
    - a potty chair & a potty seat
    - a playpen
    - several small totes filled with Matchbox cars, stuffed animals & plastic tools

This is not to mention the outdoors which contains the following:
    - a large swing set
    - a sand box
    - 3 motorized children’s vehicles
    - 2 tricycles
    - assorted plastic balls & bats
    - a miniature picnic table

In addition to all this, there are pictures of grandchildren on the walls, shelves, and the book case in our house.  The refrigerator displays our grandchildren’s latest artwork.  There are sippy cups in the refrigerator.  And miniature knives, forks and spoons in the drawer.  Yes, when you come to our house there is ample evidence that grandchildren frequent here.

Then I began to think about whether there would be this kind of overwhelming evidence to support the fact that we are Christians?  Good question.  Might a Bible or two be located somewhere in our house?  Hopefully some place easy to see.  Would someone be able to spot  a Christian-themed picture or plaque on our walls?  Or if they browsed our CD’s or DVD’s would there be any with Christian content?  Would others be able to say that they saw us say grace before meals?  Or going to and from church?  Or have heard us talk about God?  And what He’s done for us?

I hope so.  I hope that when others look at our lives that there is overwhelming evidence of our faith in, and commitment to, God.  That they wouldn’t have to guess or assume.  That they would know.  Beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Lord, help me to live my life so that if anyone wanted to know whether or not I was a Christian there would be ample evidence to prove that I am.  May I live boldly and completely for You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment