Monday, November 14, 2011

Can I Get A Witness?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:1-8&version=NIV

Sunday I preached my first sermon in the book of Acts.  First if you don’t count the introductory sermon the week before.  In this sermon we looked at the first 8 verses of Chapter 1.  The theme is being a witness.  The key verse of the passage (and of the entire book of Acts) is verse 8.  I went on to show how the passage answers 5 key questions about being a witness for Jesus.  (You can listen to the sermon as soon as it is uploaded next week at www.faithalliancechurchkalispell.blogspot.com)

Basically being a witness for Jesus is very simple.  Much more simple than we have made it.  When I was growing up we called sharing our faith ‘witnessing’.  Nowadays it is evangelism.  Much of the time evangelism involves a lot of training: what to say, how to say it, techniques, etc.  I’m certainly not against any of this.  The more we know and the better equipped we are, the more effective we are going to be.  But in the process we have lost the simplicity of sharing our faith.  That’s why I like the term ‘witnessing’ better.  Being a witness means that we simply share what we know about Jesus.  And the difference He has made in our life.  Pretty simple, right?  We don’t have to defend our faith.  Or convince others.  All we have to do is share what we know.  This means that anyone can do it.  And should do it.  As Christians, we are all witnesses.

At the conclusion of the sermon I gave a Challenge.  The Challenge was for everyone to be a witness for Jesus this week.  I presented several options on what this might look like.  Offer to pray for someone.  (Almost no one will refuse prayer on their behalf.)  Interject Jesus into the conversation, such as “I have so much to thank Jesus for” or “Jesus has made such a difference in my life.”  A very simple way to witness.  Or do a good deed for someone - open a door, rake some leaves, let someone cut in line and simply say, “Jesus loves you.”  Anyone can do this.

In the sermon I also mentioned the role of the Holy Spirit in being a witness.  He is the power.  It’s the difference between a chain saw that’s running and one that’s not.  You can still cut a branch with a stationary chain saw.  But it will take a lot of effort.  A lot of needless effort.  The most effective way to cut a branch is to have the chain saw running!  This way the chainsaw does the work.  Not the sawyer.  When the Holy Spirit is working things happen.  Miraculous things.

I also shared 3 things that the Holy Spirit provides in the process of witnessing.  #1 - Memory.  What to share. #2 - Guidance.  Who to share with. #3 - Boldness.  Having the courage to speak to others about Jesus.  So, this coming Sunday I am going to take a few minutes out of the service to have people share what happened as they accepted the Challenge.

Well, a woman stopped me after the service and said that the sermon had cleared up some misunderstanding for her in this area.  She thought that it was her responsibility to convert people.  (Wrong!)  But after listening to the sermon she realized that being a witness is just that - telling others what you know about Jesus.  And she told me that she’s already doing that.  She felt happy.  And relieved.

Well, today I get a call from another person in my church.  They had taken the Challenge to  be a witness seriously.  So after praying for a neighbor earlier today about some personal issues she pops the question.  “Would you like to accept Jesus as your Savior?”  Her neighbor says "Yes" and she leads her to the Lord!  Barely 24 hours after I had given the Challenge someone is already in the Kingdom.  Isn’t God great?

Now I’m really excited!  What else is going to happen this week?  Who knows?  Again, the point is that being a witness is very simple.  Anyone can do it.  Besides, we are not alone in our witness.  The Holy Spirit will help us.  He will direct us to the right person.  He will give us the words to say.  And He will provide the boldness for us to speak.  How can we go wrong?

So I encourage you today, wherever you are, to be a witness.  Pray about it.  Ask God to put people in your path.  Ask Him to help you to be aware of opportunities.  To give you something to say.  Ask Him to give you boldness to speak up when the time comes.  So step out in faith and see what God will do.  Being a witness is exciting!

Lord, once again I am impressed by how simple You make things.  The Gospel is simple.  Repentance and faith.  And witnessing is simple.  Tell others what Jesus has done for us.  I pray that I will have several opportunities to witness for You this week.  I leave the results to You.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment