Monday, April 25, 2011

Little Things

Today I took the day off - which is rather unusual for my workaholic self!  It was a chance to rest and recuperate a little bit and also to enjoy spending some time with my grandkids which I don't get to do all that often.  So, I watched Batman videos with Brett, played 'shoot the monster' with toy guns made from blocks, ate lunch with them, took each of them for a couple of laps around the yard on the riding lawnmower and made paper airplanes for each of them (which I continuously flew for 45 minutes!).  I really didn't do much but, then again, I did quite a bit.

The truth is that we all live lives that are so busy and hectic that the simple pleasures of life often go unnoticed.  In my own life, I find that I often gulp food down without taking the time to enjoy it, I drive around Kalispell while seldom lifting my eyes to notice the mountains, I don't take time to look at the various cloud formations in the sky nor am I always fully present when I am with people.  This is largely a result of my focus always being elsewhere.  You could very well say that I am busy but not living.

What I need to do is to savor life as I live it each day, to enjoy each moment as it comes to me and not be so consumed with my next project or appointment.

Lord, help me to live life like your Son did, fully present and aware in each moment of life.  Help me to take the time for, and to savor, the little things along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment